Urban contestation and alternatives


You can submit your own research proposal as part of an application for research degree study If you’d like to start your own research project, we strongly advise you to get in touch with a supervisor before writing a detailed application. They must be experts in the topic you’re interested in to ensure that your research is accurate and adding to current knowledge. When you contact a potential supervisor please be prepared to discuss your area of research, proposed topic and research interests.

Project description

Our research seeks to understand current urban transformations and futures and in particular how different actors, from the state and private sector to community groups, negotiate their diverse interests in cities. We challenge the existing neoliberalising trends in urban policy, such as residential and retail gentrification, privatisation of housing, displacement and also promote research on alternative and socially just urban models. 

If you have a project in mind, we strongly encourage you to find and contact a potential supervisor who will be able to advise you. Once you’ve discussed your research with a suitable supervisor you’ll be asked to write a research proposal for your application. 

Social Justice, Cities, Citizenship research cluster

The Social Justice, Cities, Citizenship research cluster aims to understand the complexities of social (in)justice and citizenship at different geographical and temporal scales and contribute to efforts at achieving a radically fairer world. We have a track record for internationally relevant, engaged and impactful research which is often co-produced with academic and non-academic partners, such as public bodies, NGOs, community groups, campaigners and practitioners. 

Entry requirements

Applications are invited from candidates with or expecting a minimum of a UK upper second class honours degree (2:1), and/or a Master's degree in the relevant subject area.

If English is not your first language, you must provide evidence that you meet the University’s minimum English Language requirements.

How to apply

Formal applications for research degree study should be made online through the university's website. 

We welcome scholarship applications from all suitably-qualified candidates, but UK black and minority ethnic (BME) researchers are currently under-represented in our Postgraduate Research community, and we would therefore particularly encourage applications from UK BME candidates. All scholarships will be awarded on the basis of merit.

If you require any further information about the application process please contact Jacqui Manton e: j.manton@leeds.ac.uk