- Start date: September 2018
- End date: September 2018
- Duration: 72 contact hours
- Fees: tbc
- Venue: School of Geography
enquire course programme
Staff who teach on short courses are active in research and consultancy and some modules are taught by external industry experts covering cutting-edge relevant topics in the field.
Topics include fundamentals of river basin hydrology and river hydraulics, overview of river basin management, carbon management overview, legislation, river basin dynamics and channel stability overview, field work skills for environmental data collection (two day residential trip), skills in environmental data analysis using open source R software, skills in river flood modelling using the flood estimation handbook (FEH), the industry-standard 1D hydraulic model; ISIS, and a cutting-edge distributed open source model; Delft3d.
- Accredited by CIWEM
- Learn from world-class academic staff and study alongside postgraduate students
- Part of water@leeds
- Lectures are combined with field, laboratory and computer practicals and you will have access to academic facilities and resources
- Certificate of completion awarded
- Credits can be considered as prior learning when applying the for River Basin Dynamics and Management with GIS (MSc/PGDip) and MSc Environmental Water Consultancy (MSc/PGDip/PGCert)
Taught in Semester 1 (Enrolment in September) - Mon, Tues, Weds
72 hours contact:
- 10 x 2 hour lectures
- 2 x 8 hours fieldwork (residential)
- 1 x 8 hour practical
- 7 x 4 hour practical
Modules can be taken as standalone courses or can also provide an entry route towards working for a postgraduate qualification. Participation together with successful completion of assessed work, leads to credits that can be considered as prior learning when applying for selected postgraduate programmes in the School of Geography.