I am a final year PhD student on an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Industrial Cooperative Award in Science & Technology (iCASE) studentship in partnership with Arup and the British Geological Survey (BGS). My research involves looking at the effects of elevated temperature and stresses on the mechanics of rock discontinuities, through small scale laboratory testing and discrete element numerical modelling. Working with:
- Dr William Murphy
- Dr Mark Thomas
- Michael Osborne & Amy Nettleship (Arup)
- Dr Helen Reeves & Dr Audrey Ougier-Simonin (BGS)
- Fellow of the Geological Society of London
- Member of the American Rock Mechanics Association (ARMA)
- Member of the British Tunnelling Society (BTS)
- Member of the British Geotechnical Association (BGA)
Woodman J; Ougier-Simonin A; Murphy W; Thomas ME (2018) Thermal effects on discontinuity behaviour: a laboratory scale study. 52nd US Rock Mechanics / Geomechanics Symposium, Seattle, Washington, USA, 17 Jun 2018 - 20 Jun 2018.
Woodman J; Murphy W; Thomas ME; Ougier-Simonin A; Reeves H; Berry TW (2017) A novel approach to the laboratory testing of replica discontinuities: 3D printing representative morphologies. 51st US Rock Mechanics / Geomechanics Symposium, San Francisco, California, USA, 25 Jun 2017 - 28 Jun 2017.
Selected Conference Contributions:
- "Thermal effects on discontinuity behavior: a laboratory scale study". Poster presentation at the 52nd US Rock Mechanics / Geomechanics Symposium, Seattle, Washington, USA, 17 - 20 June 2018.
- "Thermal loading in rock masses: controls and effects." Poster presentation at the International Symposium on Coupled Phenomena in Environmental Geotechnics, Leeds, UK, 6 - 7 September 2017.
- "A novel approach to the laboratory testing of replica discontinuities: 3D printing representative morphologies." Poster presentation at the 51st US Rock Mechanics / Geomechanics Symposium, San Francisco, California, USA, 25 - 28 June 2017.
Demonstrating on the MSc Engineering Geology course:
- Rock Engineering
- Theoretical and numerical modelling tutorials
- UCS and triaxial testing laboratory sessions
- Geological Characterisation & Investigation
- Scarborough Fieldtrip
- Rock shearbox laboratory sessions
- PhD Candidate in Rock Mechanics
- MSci Geology with an international year
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Applied Geoscience