Dr Jannik Giesekam
- Position: Research Fellow in Industrial Climate Policy
- Areas of expertise: climate change mitigation; sustainable construction; circular economy; energy demand reduction; material efficiency; climate policy.
- Email: J.Giesekam@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 9.125 School of Earth and Environment
- Website: Personal Website | Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate
Jannik is a Research Fellow for the RCUK funded Centre for Research into Energy Demand Solutions (CREDS). His research focusses on the role of material efficiency and industrial energy demand reduction in securing a low carbon future. He works on a number of collaborative interdisciplinary projects using techniques from engineering, economics and the social sciences.
Jannik has published numerous articles on sustainable construction, the circular economy, and microgeneration resource assessment. Jannik has given invited talks, contributed to guidance documents, served on steering groups and acted as a technical reviewer for groups such as the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the UK Green Building Council (UKGBC). Jannik has also undertaken work for the Green Construction Board, the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), the Committee on Climate Change (CCC) and the Scottish Government.
Current projects are focussing on:
- Developing new resource productivity indicators for the UK
- The use of embodied carbon targets in the construction industry
- Industry drivers and barriers to the adoption of sustainable building materials
- Public perceptions and experiences of low carbon building materials
- Applications of the circular economy in industrial settings
- Integrated PhD and MSc, Low Carbon Technologies, University of Leeds
- MEng, Civil Engineering, University of Glasgow
Research groups and institutes
- Sustainability Research Institute
- Energy and Climate Change Mitigation