Dr Ross Gillard
- Position: Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Environmental policy and governance; climate smart cities; social responses to climate change; low-carbon transitions; energy justice; policy processes; comparative politics
- Email: R.O.Gillard@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 9.118 School of Earth and Environment
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I have an MSc in Sustainability (Environment and Development) and a PhD in Environmental Social Science from the University of Leeds. My PhD thesis was on 'Governing turbulent transitions: the politics of climate change and low-carbon transitions during austerity in the UK, 2006-2016'. During my PhD I worked closely with UK government departments to develop policy ideas around the social dimensions fo climate change.
As well as climate change politics, I also work on the social and environmental justice aspects of energy transitions. As a Research Associate at the Univeristy of York, I carried out research into energy poverty and domestic energy efficiency in the four nations of the UK. With colleagues at Leeds and in conjunction with the White Rose univeristy network, I have been involved in developing secondary data analysis on energy poverty and social relations, organising policy workshops at the European Union Parliament in Brussels.
After returning to Leeds as a Research Fellow in Spring 2018, I have been writing a series of case studies about urban development and climate change in developing cities around the world. This work is part of the Climate Smart Cities project funded by the New Climate Economy, and also feeds into my role at the ESRC Centre for Climate Change Economics and Policy.
I am co-convener of the British International Studies Association's Environment Working Group and am a regular contributor to acedemic conferences, seminars and journals in the fields of environmental social science, human geography, and energy social science.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Environmental Social Science (University of Leeds)
- MSc Sustainability (Environment and Development) (University of Leeds)
- PGCert Psychology (University of Cardiff)
- BSc Psychology (University of Worcester)
- British International Studies Association - Co-convener
- Higher Education Academy - Associate Fellow
Throughout my acvademic career I have maintained an active teaching role, delivering lectures and seminars in the School of Earth and Environment, the School of Politics and International Studies and the School of Geography on various topics, including: environmental policy and governance, research methods, global inequalities, climate change adaptation, living within limits, and environment, conflict and policy.