Dr Christopher Lyon
- Position: Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: social-ecological systems; social dimensions of resilience adaptation transformation; phosphorus and food security; social responses to environmental change
- Email: C.Lyon@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 9.124 Maths/Earth and Environment Building
- Website: RePhoKUs | Twitter | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID | White Rose
I am responsible for the stakeholder mapping conceptual development of the three-year RePhoKUs project examining the resilience and adaptive capacity of the UK food system in relation to phosphorus, funded by the BBSRC, NERC, ESRC, Scottish Government, and the Global Food Security programme. In addition to Leeds, this large, three-yearm project includes researchers from Lancaster University, the Agriculture Food and Biosciences Institute, Center for Ecology and Hydrology, and the Institute for Sustainable Futures at the University of Technology Sydney in Australia.
I am also the lead investigator on the White Rose Collaboration Fund project "Refugia of Futures Past". Together with colleagues from the Universities of Leeds, York, Sheffield, Oxford, and Montreal, we explore environmental changes beyond 2100 and the implications for current environmental change adaptation discourses and practices.
My background includes researching instances of community or regional level resilience to different challenges. These include Canadian natural resource dependent communities facing the loss of that industry, government-led emergency management planning in Scotland, and the relative success of a grassroots community sustainability effort. I have also contributed conceptual work to the transformations and climate governance literature, and authored or co-authored a number of reports, blogs, and website interviews related to my expertise.
social-ecolgoical systems, climate change adaptation, biodiversity, food security, transformation, climate justice, deep time perspectives on adaptation, interdisciplinary research
<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Geography, University of Dundee
- MSc Rural Sociology, University of Alberta
- BA International Development Studies, University of Winnipeg
Research groups and institutes
- Sustainability Research Institute
- Climate Change Adaptation, Vulnerability and Services
- Economics and Policy for Sustainability