Dr Daniela Portella Sampaio
- Position: Marie Curie Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: antarctic treaty governance; marine protected areas; antarctic tourism; environmental regimes; international organisations
- Email: D.PortellaSampaio@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 9.123 School of Earth and Environment
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | ORCID
With a D.Sc. in International Relations (Universidade de São Paulo) in 2017, Daniela has been working with Antarctic Treaty governance since 2012. In 2014, She was awarded a CAPES/Pro-defesa research grant in order to develop her doctoral project “The Antarctic exception. Sovereignty and the Antarctic Treaty governance”. In 2015, Daniela was also awarded a CNPq research grant in order to continue her studies at the Royal Holloway, University of London. She was an intern at the Antarctic Treaty Secretariat in 2015, and worked as a Secretariat Advisor for Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings in 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- Lecturer in Social Science, Federal University of Minas Gerais (2011)
- Lecturer in International Relations, Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais (2012)
- Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (Sep/2017-Sep/2019)
The Antarctica Treaty presents one of the most intriguing environmental regimes to international relations: its institutionalisation has intensified as much as the Treaty has been able to keep controversy away from its governance. The current arrangement postpones, outsources or builds an ambiguous guidance towards any subject which might undermine its consensual foundation. But are these solutions able to keep the Antarctic Treaty's resilience as a regime? Antarctic history shows that expectations towards resource activities within the region has triggered challenges to this framework. Nevertheless, Antarctic Tourism and Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean are current activities respectively outsourced and avoided by the Treaty, despite of their direct impact on the Antarctic Treaty operation. Therefore, this project aims to contribute towards the Antarctic Treaty governance, proposing institutional innovations which would support the Treaty to manage complex, multilevel and controversial activities.
(Forthcoming) Cardone, I.; and Sampaio, D. P. (2019). The Antarctic Politics of Brazil - Where the Tropics Meet the Pole. Palgrave Macmillan.
Sampaio, D. P.; Cardone, I.; Abdenur, A. (2017). Brazil, the Antarctic Treaty System and Antarctica. In: Handbook of Antarctic Politics. Org.: Dodds, K.; Hemmings, A. and Roberts, P. Edward Elgar Publishing.
Sampaio, D. P. (2016). [Review of the book The Polar Regions: An Environmental History, by Adrian Howkins]. Journal of Historical Geography. May, 2016 doi: 10.1016/j.jhg.2016.04.013
Vilela, E. M.; Sampaio, D. P. (2015). Um olhar sobre as autorizações de permanência a estrangeiros no Brasil, entre 2005 e 2011. (A portray on foreigners authorized to come to Brazil, from 2005 to 2011). Revista Brasileira de Estudos de População, v. 32, p. 25-48. ISSN: 0102-3098
Sampaio. D. P. (2015). O Sistema do Tratado Antártico: A consolidação de um regime internacional e o debate sobre seu déficit democrático. (Antarctic Treaty System:â€¨the consolidation of an international regime and its democratic deficit debate). Carta Internacional, v. 10, p. 83-104. ISSN: 1413-0904
Daniela is currently a Marie Curie Research Fellow at the Sustainability Research Institute, working on the project: POLARGOV - From an environmental to a resource regime? Institutional innovation for the management of Tourism and Marine Protected Areas within the Antarctic Treaty governance<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- DSc, International Relations, University of São Paulo
- PhD guest student (CNPq grant), Department of Geography, Royal Holloway University of London
- MRes, Sociology, Federal University of Minas Gerais
- BSc, International Relations, Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais
- BSc, Federal University of Minas Gerais
- International Studies Association
- International Political Science Association
Research groups and institutes
- Social and Political Dimensions of Sustainability
- Sustainability Research Institute