Dr Jonathan R. Weiss
- Position: Research Fellow
- Email: J.R.Weiss@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 8.151 School of Earth and Environment
I am a postdoctoral research fellow at the Center for Observation and Modeling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Tectonics (COMET), School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds. For my research I employ a variety of geological and geophysical techniques to investigate problems in active crustal deformation. My current work is focused on using InSAR and GNSS data to study interseismic strain accumulation and seismic hazard across the Alpine-Himalayan belt. I also continue to be involved in studies of large subduction zone earthquakes, Andean seismotectonics, and numerical investigations of crustal deformation, mountain building, and thrust fault formation. I completed postgraduate work at the University of Hawaii, studying rapid continental extension in the Gulf of Corinth, Greece for my M.S. and orogenic wedge deformation across the active fold-and-thrust belt of southern Bolivia for my Ph.D. I also spent a number of years using multibeam sonar to map shallow coral reef ecosystems around the U.S. Pacific Islands while working for the UH-NOAA Joint Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, COMET, School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds, Jul 2016-Present
- Seafloor Mapping Specialist, UH-NOAA Coral Reef Ecosystem Division, Dec 2004-Aug 2010
- Sonar/Data Systems Specialist, Hawaii Mapping Research Group, Jul-Nov 2004
- Weiss, J.R., G. Ito, J-A. Olive, B.A. Brooks, G.F. Moore, J.H. Foster. Formation of the frontal thrust zone of accretionary wedges, EPSL, 495c, pp. 87-100, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2018.05.010.
- Weiss, J.R., B.A. Brooks, J.H. Foster, M. Bevis, A. Echalar, D. Caccamise, J. Heck, R. Smalley, G. Vergani (2016) Isolating active orogenic wedge deformation in the southern Subandes of Bolivia, JGR-Solid Earth, doi:10.1002/2016JB013145.
- Weiss, J.R., B.A. Brooks, G. Vergani, J.R. Arrowsmith (2015) Spatial and temporal distribution of deformation at the front of the Andean orogenic wedge in southern Bolivia, JGR-Solid Earth, doi:10.1002/2014JB011763.
- Taylor, B., J.R. Weiss, A.M. Goodliffe, M. Sachpazi, M. Laigle, A. Hirn (2011) The structures, stratigraphy, and evolution of the Gulf of Corinth, Greece, Geophysical Journal Intl., 185(11), 1189-1219.
- Wessel, P., Anderson, T., Austin, R., Benediktsdotter, A., Chandler, M.T., Conley, M.M., Kim, S-S., Michaud, R.L., Rumpf, M.E., Sleeper, J.D., Weiss, J.R., (2009) Seminar 2.0: Learning With Skype and Video Podcasts, Eos Trans. AGU, 90(17), 145-147.
- Weiss, J.R., J. Miller, E. Hirsch, J. Rooney, L. Wedding, A. Friedlander (2009) Geology and Benthic Habitats. In: Friedlander, A., K. Keller, L. Wedding, A. Clark, M. Monaco (eds.). A Marine Biogeographic Assessment of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, NOAA Technical Memorandum NOS NCCOS 84, Prepared by NCCOS’s Biogeography Branch in cooperation with the Office of National Marine Sanctuaries Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument, Silver Spring, MD., 363 pp.
- Weiss, J.R., J. Miller, J. Rooney (2009) Seafloor characterization using multibeam and optical data at French Frigate Shoals, Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Proc. 11th Intl. Coral Reef Symposium, Ft. Lauderdale, July 2008, 662-666.
- Rooney, J., P. Wessel, R. Hoeke, J.R. Weiss, J. Baker, F. Parrish, C. Fletcher, J. Chojnacki, M.O. Garcia, P. Vroom (2008) Geology and geomorphology of coral reefs of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. In: Riegl, B., Dodge, R.E., (eds.), Coral Reefs of the USA. Springer, Berlin, 519-571.
- Maragos, J., J. Miller, J. Gove, E. DeMartini, A.M. Friedlander, S. Godwin, C. Musburger, M. Timmers, R. Tsuda, P. Vroom, E. Flint, E. Lundblad, J.R. Weiss, P. Ayotte, E. Sala, S. Sandin, S. McTee, T. Wass, D. Siciliano, R. Brainard, D. Obvura, S. Ferguson, B. Mundy (2008) US Coral Reefs in the Line and Phoenix Islands, Central Pacific Ocean: History, Geology, Oceanography, and Biology. In: Riegl, B., Dodge, R.E., (eds.), Coral Reefs of the USA. Springer, Berlin, 595-641.
- Zelt, B.C., B. Taylor, J.R. Weiss, A.M. Goodliffe, M. Sachpazi, A. Hirn (2004) Streamer Tomography velocity models for the Gulf of Corinth and the Gulf of Itea, Greece, Geophysical Journal Intl., 159, 333-346.
- Deformation and seismic hazard associated with fault systems in continental interiors
- The subduction zone earthquake cycle and mountain building in South America
- Integrated field, remote sensing, and numerical studies applied to active tectonics
- Eurasian and Arabian Plate tectonics
- Probabilistic approaches to geologic/geophysical data analysis
- Structural, tectonic, and climatic controls on geomorphology and landscape evolution
- Island archipelago and hot spot volcano evolution
Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all research projects allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.
- PhD, Geology and Geophysics, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- MSc, Geology and Geophysics, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- BSc, Geology, The College of William and Mary in Virginia
- American Geophysical Union (2000-Present)
- Society of Exploration Geophysics (2000-2015)
- Geological Society of America (2000-2013)
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics
- Geodynamics and Tectonics