We welcome visiting researchers each year from around the globe, to collaborate with us on research topics of mutual interest. Visits are hosted for academic staff, post-doctoral staff and research students. Outstanding Masters and undergraduate candidates may also be eligible to visit.
Finding an appropriate topic:
- Visit our research web pages to find topics of mutual interest
- Contact the relevant member of staff or the relevant group leader to discuss potential topics in advance of the application. We encourage you to identify and hold initial discussions with a member of staff who, in principle, has agreed to host you.
How to apply:
- Develop an outline proposal of no more than two pages setting out the proposed activity for the visit. You can do this in conjunction with your proposed host. Demand for visiting research placements exceeds our capacity to host visitors, so the calibre of the applicant and the proposal are important parts of our selection process
- Send your outline proposal, a CV and a covering letter which sets out the desired duration and start date of your visit to your identified host
- We will aim to reach a decision within 4-6 weeks.
We charge a visiting fee of £200 per month to cover the costs of library access, registration, computing access and office space. Where fees are an eligible cost as part of a visiting scholarship grant then this should be stated in any application. A limited number of partial or full fee waivers are available each year, although these do not cover living costs. The availability of funding to support the visiting fee should be clearly set out in the letter of application.