Dr Tyron Louw
- Position: Senior Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: human factors; vehicle automation; visual attention; psychophysiology; driver behaviour; human-machine interface; technology acceptance; human-in-the-loop driving experiments
- Email: T.L.Louw@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 7882
- Location: 2.08 Institute for Transport Studies
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
My primary research interest is in the field of Human Factors, where I work towards providing a better understanding of how humans interact with highly automated driving systems. For over 6 years, I have collaborated with researchers in both the automotive industry and academia on this topic, through various EU and UK projects and partnerships, including AdaptIVe, CityMobil2, and HumanDrive. I currently lead the User & Acceptance Evaluation within the L3Pilot project, which is conducting the first large-scale piloting of SAE Level 3 automated driving in Europe.
- 2019-present, Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds, UK
- 2017-2019, Research Fellow in Human Factors of Vehicle Automation, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds, UK
- 2013-2017, Research Assistant, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds, UK
- 2013, Research and Teaching Assistant, Department of Human Kinetics and Ergonomics, Rhodes University, South Africa
- PhD, Insitute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- MSc (Research) (Distinction), Ergonomics, Rhodes University
- BSc (Hons), Ergonomics (First Class), Rhodes University,
- Reviewer: Human Factors, Applied Ergonomics, Transportation Research Part F, Accident Analysis and Prevention, Traffic Injury Prevention, IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems
- Member: British Standards Institute (BSI)
- Visiting Researcher: Automotive Human Factors Research Center, National Advanced Institute for Industrial Science and Technology, Japan
- I currently lecture on MECH5495M Engineering Psychology and Human Factors, offered on various Master's programmes within the Faculty of Engineering.
- Past teaching includes Human Information Processing and Usability to 3rd-year undergraduate students in the Department of Human Kinetics and Ergonomics at Rhodes University, South Africa.
- I have advised and supervised a number of ITS Master's students on a variety of topics involving driver behaviour.
Research groups and institutes
- Human Factors and Safety