Mr Jeremy Shires
- Position: Senior Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Demand; Valuation; Travel Behaviour; Appraisal; Energy; Market Research
- Email: J.D.Shires@its.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5347
- Location: Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
Key Research Interests
- Bus Soft Factors
- Discrete Choice Modelling
- Decision Making
- Public Transport Demand Modelling
- Stated Preference Design
- 1993 - 1996: Research Officer, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- 1996 - 98: Research Fellow, Transport Studies Unit, Oxford University
- 1998 - present: Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- 1992 BA Hons in Economics, Heriot Watt University
- 1993 M.A. Transport Economics, the University of Leeds
Research Projects and Experience
- 2007/8DfT Project looking at the valuation and demand impacts of bus soft factors. Project manager with a key role in the SP design and analysis.
- ITS (2007) “Revealed and Stated Preference Study to Assess Impact of Rail Reliability on Rail Demand ”. Report Submitted to DfT.Responsibility for SP Design.
- GRACE (2007) European Project examining how complex road congestion pricing impacts upon car driver behaviour. Responsibility for design of complex congestion pricing experiment and analysis.
- Jacobs and ITS (2006) “Zonal Fares Trial Evaluation”. Report Submitted to DfT.Project Manager.
- Nash, C.A., Mackie, P., Shires, J. and Nellthorp (2004) “The Economic Efficiency Case for Road User Charging”. A Report for the Department for Transport. This was an input into the 'Feasibility Study Of Road Pricing in the UK” (2004). Responsibility for producing paper on marginal social cost pricing.
- Bonsall, P., Shires, J., Matthews, B., Maule, J. and Beale, J. (2004) “Road User Charging – Pricing Structures”. A Report for the Department for Transport. This was an input into the 'Feasibility Study Of Road Pricing in the UK” (2004). Responsibility for design of major cross discipline literature review.
- Shires, J.D. (2004) “Case for Rail in the Conurbations”.Development of a spreadsheet rail forecasting model based on WYPTE rail services for JMP Consultants as part of a consultancy report for the PTEG.
- Whelan, G.A. and Shires, J.D. (2003) “First Area Review Model”.Report for First Group that developed a bus forecasting handbook and model.
- Bristow, A., Whelan, G.A., Shires, J.D. and Mackie, P.J. (2002) “Achieving Best Value for Public Support in the Bus Industry”. A report for CfIT in conjunction with LEK Consultants. Responsibility for developing a GOMMMS type appraisal tool.
Research groups and institutes
- Economics and Appraisal