- Overview: This laboratory is set up for the analysis of fluid inclusions in minerals.
- Contact name: Dr David Banks
- Phone: +44(0) 113 34 35244 / 31647
- Email: email@example.com
- Lambda Physik 193nm ArF Excimer laser coupled to an Agilent 7500c ICP-MS
- Geolas Q Plus laser ablation system
We provide access to the following range of services:
- We have carried out analyses of minerals and related materials for a wide range of elements.
- We perform fluid inclusion analysis routinely, processing the data using the SILLS software package, which was originally developed in Leeds.
- The laser ablation system is set up to use hydrogen, helium or xenon as a collision/reaction cell gas. It is optimised for analysis of fluid inclusions in natural and synthetic quartz, though it is also used for other projects.
- We also have experience of collaborative work with external partners, which allows inclusions to be analysed which have been thoroughly characterised in advance. This enables a wide range of elements to be determined, the number depending on the inclusion size and element concentration.
The Laser Ablation ICP-MS Laboratory is primarily set up for the analysis of fluid inclusions in minerals, and is one of the only ICP-MS machines that is run almost exclusively in laser mode (in order to minimise background levels on key elements such as sodium).
Who can use the facility?
We are committed to sharing our facilities and associated expertise with external academic and industrial collaborators. To make an enquiry please contact Dr David Banks, firstname.lastname@example.org.