- Position: Lead Technician for Sorby Environmental Fluid Dynamics Laboratory
- Email: H.Brown@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6765
- Location: 8.129/7.104 SEE
My role in the laboratory includes:
- Supporting staff and students while accessing the facility
- Undertaking field based sampling and laboratory analysis of sediment and water column samples.
- Advising lab users on equipment use, laboratory techniques and sample analysis
- Maintaining financial records
- Purchasing laboratory equipment and consumables
- Maintaining safety documentation and advising lab users on protocols and safe laboratory working practices
- Managing communications, including lab website and twitter feed
In 2020 I won a placement to be a part of the Royal Institution Christmas Lecture Demo Team for the Planet Earth: A Users Guide lectures. I subsequently took part in ‘I’m a Scientist, Get Me Out of Here’ outreach and engagement to share my experiences at the RI, and the career path with brought me there, with school age students.
In 2021 I won the Water Woman Award for Research Support, awarded by water@Leeds.
In addition to my laboratory roles, I am also the joint Equality and Inclusion Coordinator for the School. In this position I am co-chair of the SEE E&I committee, a member of the Faculty E&I committee, and a member of the Faculty Athena SWAN self-assessment teams.
Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss any E&I issues, require any guidance or signposting to policy or have any best practice to share.
- Lead Technician for Sorby Environmental Fluid Dynamics Laboratory
- Lab Manager for Sediment, Soil and Pollutant Analysis Laboratory
- Joint Equality and Inclusion Coordinator