- Start date: 21 October 2021
- End date: 22nd October 2021
- Duration: Two days
- Fees: £500 (exl VAT)
- Venue: Online
This course explains the demand forecasting principles underlying the Passenger Demand Forecasting Handbook, as widely used in the UK railway industry, and provides a step-by-step guide to the forecasting procedures contained within it. A wide range of worked examples are covered and a workshop tackles a series of practical demand forecasting problems using software to apply PDFH recommendations to real-world situations.
Designed for people in the industry, these courses will develop up-to-date skills and knowledge for all transport professionals. They typically last 1-5 days and are accredited to contribute to your personal development requirements.Short courses are taught by active research staff and teachers, with external experts contributing, and are normally held at the Institute for Transport Studies. Alternate arrangements can be made to bring a course closer to you.
These courses can also help you to attain credits towards a postgraduate qualification at the University of Leeds – you will have to formally apply to be a student here, so get in touch to find out more. All courses can be tailor-made to your company’s particular needs. Please get in touch to discuss bespoke course options.
Outline and objectives
Principles and concepts
- Principles of demand models and brief overview of different types of model
- Elasticities and cross elasticities
- Relationships between elasticities
- Generalised Journey Time (GJT) and rooftop model
- Implicit elasticities
- Conditional and non-conditional elasticities
- Discussion of PDFH as a forecasting framework
- Forecasting the impact of external factors (e.g. GDP and population), fares and timetable factors
- The effect of crowding, other service quality factors and impacts of new services
- Demand build up or lags
- Worked forecasting examples
Practical Session covering demand forecasting exercises.
For further information on the course content please contact Fitsum Teklu – Tel 0203 882 9169, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who should attend?
The course is designed for railway managers and consultants involved in rail demand and revenue forecasting.
£500 (exl VAT)
Online via Microsoft Teams
Institute for Transport Studies
Leeds LS2 9JT
Tel: 0113 343 9904