I am a keen and highly motivated young geologist with extensive training from both academic and industry environments. Throughout my university and industry years, I have focused on courses and research topics pertaining to ore geology, structural geology, geochemistry, mineralogy and geological mapping techniques.
In June 2016, I graduated the Masters program 'Evaluation of Sedimentary Basins and Mineral Resources' from the Faculty of Geology and Geophysics at the University of Bucharest. During the Masters project, I had the opportunity to work in collaboration with the Exploration department of the Boliden Mineral A.B. mining company on the Petiknäs North VMS deposit in Northern Sweden.
I also have industry experience, having worked as a project geologist doing geological mapping for a company that is providing geological studies for large infrastructure projects and in the mining industry, and as an exploration geologist for Porphyry Copper deposits in SW Romania.
I came to Leeds in October 2017 for my PhD program. Whilst here, I aim to broaden my knowledge in structural geology, geochemistry and ore deposits and I will try to understand the feedback relationships between the structural featrues and the geochemical changes associated with fluid transport in orogenic gold deposits.
Current Research Project
Title: Structural and geochemical differences in orogenic gold mineralization from the Newfoundland Appalachians and Irish Caledonides, and wider implications for orogenic gold models and exploration strategies
Funding scheme: Leeds Doctoral Scholarship
- Society of Economic Geologists (SEG) – Student Research Grant funded by Newmont Mining Corporation (2019)
- Geological Society of London – Annie Greenly Fund (2019)
- Geological Survey of Northern Ireland (GSNI) (2018, 2019)
- The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3) – G Vernon Hobson Bequest Grant (2018, 2019)
- Geologists' Association - NewResearch Grant Scheme (2018)
- The Applied Mineralogy Group (AMG) of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland – Postgraduate Student Bursary Award (2018)
Summary: The project comprises both regional and deposit-scale structural and geochemical studies of gold occurrences from the Appalachian-Caledonian orogenic trend. The targeted occurrences are located along a major crustal-scale shear zone, the Baie Verte Line (Newfoundland) and it's subsidiary substructures, together with it’s orogenic counterpart in Ireland: the Fair Head-Clew Bay Line.
- establish the structural evolution history of the BVL/FCL and of their subsidiary structures in relation to the formation and the localization of orogenic gold mineralization;
- investigate the differences between the individual deposits, both in terms of their structural setting and their vein/fluid geochemistry;
- generate a general structural and geochemical framework through which to investigate the distribution of the orogenic gold mineralization in the Baie Verte Peninsula of Newfoundland and Western Ireland.
Papers and Presentations
*Poster presentation - Manuc, G., Torvela, TM., Chapman, RJ., Piercey, S., and Copeland, D., 2019. Structural and Geochemical Characteristics of Orogenic Gold Deposits from the Baie Verte Peninsula of Newfoundland, Canada and County Mayo, Ireland - Preliminary results. AMEBC Roundup Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
*Poster presentation - Manuc, G., Steadman, J., Nordin, R., and Allen, R., 2018. Stratigraphic and alteration vectors towards the gold-rich Petiknäs North VMS deposit, Skellefte district, Sweden. SEG 2018 - Metals, Minerals and Society Conference, Keystone, Colorado, USA.
*Poster presentation - Shaw, JI; Manuc, G; Torvela, TM; Chapman, RJ. 2018 Structural and geochemical approaches to understanding orogenic gold mineralization. Mineral Deposits Study Group (MDSG) Conference, Brighton, England.
Research topics and interests
- Exploration of ore deposists
- Structural controls on the genesis and evolution of hydrothermal deposits
- Keen interest in Orogenic Gold Deposits, VMS and Porphyry Copper Deposists
- Geological mapping
- Ore Deposits and their Exploration
- Geological Materials
- Geological Maps
- Northern Ireland Field Trip
- Society of Economic Geologists (SEG)
- Society for Geology Applied to Mineral Deposists (SGA)
- Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada (PDAC)
- The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3)
- Geological Society of London
- Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Irish Association For Economic Geology
- Society of Exploration Gephysicists (SEG)
- BSc, Geological Engineering of Resources, University of Bucharest
- MSc, Evaluation of Sedimentary Basins and Mineral Resources, University of Bucharest
Research groups and institutes
- Ores and Mineralization
- Institute of Applied Geoscience