Dr Tracy Aze
- Position: Associate Professor of Marine Micropalaeontology and Research Institute Director - Earth Surface Science Institute
- Areas of expertise: climate change; biodiversity; oceanography; micropalaeontology
- Email: T.Aze@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 9.163 School of Earth and Environment
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar
I am Associate Professor of Marine Micropalaeontology and Research Institute Director of the Earth Surface Science Institute http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/research/essi/
My research is at the interface of palaeobiology and palaeoclimatology. Using the marine plankton fossil record I investigate evolutionary trends, the interactions between species and the response of organisms to environmental change. I am the Chair of the Neogene Planktonic Foraminifera Working Group of the International Commission on Stratigraphy, I am Co-Chair of the Biodiversity Drivers Working Group of the Paleosynthesis Project (https://www.paleosynthesis.nat.fau.de), I sit on the MikroTax Advisory Board http://www.mikrotax.org/ and was a committee member of The Micropalaeontological Society https://www.tmsoc.org/ between 2016 – 2020.
I joined the University of Leeds as a lecturer in 2014. Prior to this I obtained my PhD from Cardiff University in 2011 before undertaking a post doctoral research position in Cardiff (2011) and a research fellowship at the University of Oxford (2013). I was awarded the Charles Downie Award by The Micropalaeontological Society in 2011, The Lyell Fund of The Geological Society in 2016 and The Water Woman Award for Research Excellence in 2020.
- Director, Earth Surface Science Institute
- PhD Micropalaeontology and Palaeoclimatology (Cardiff University)
- MRes Global Environmental Change (University of Plymouth)
- BSc Geological Sciences (University of Plymouth)
- The Micropalaeontological Society
- The Palaeontological Association
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Associate Editor - PALAIOS
- Editorial Board - Marine Micropaleontology
I deliver teaching and module leadership across a range of modules facing palaeontology, ecology and ocean sciences across both Environmental Sciences and Geological Sciences. I was programme manager for BSc/MEnv Environmental Sciences between 2016-2021. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, I have been nominated for the University of Leeds Partnership Awards in the "Inspirational Teaching" catagory and I recieved a Recognition Award from the Univeristy of Leeds in 2018 and 2020 for my work as the programme manager for BSc/MEnv Environmental Sciences.
Research groups and institutes
- Earth Surface Science Institute
- Cohen Geochemistry