Dr Peyman Babakhani
- Position: Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Artificial Intelligence; Numerical Modelling; Earth system data analysis; Environmental Engineering; Porous Media; Colloids; GIS; Life Cycle Assessment/Costing; Environmental Nanotechnology
- Email: P.Babakhani@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 9.160 School of Earth and Environment
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am a Research Fellow working on global biogeochemical cycles and climate change mitigation at the School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds. I obtained a Dual-PhD from the School of Engineering at the University of Liverpool and the College of Nuclear Science at National Tsing Hua University.
I serve as an early-career or topic editorial board member of three journals including Sustainability (MDPI, IF 3.9), Environmental Science & Ecotechnology (Elsevier, IF 9.4), and Frontiers of Environmental Science & Engineering (Springer, IF 6.0).
My research interests and experiences span five areas: (i) Geoscience including modelling biogeochemical processes and mapping the global carbon cycle using a combination of numerical modelling, artificial intelligence, stochastic modelling, and GIS techniques; (ii) Climate change mitigation including large-scale CO2 removal techniques such as ocean fertilisation; (iii) Environmental sciences including the fate and transport of contaminants such as nanoparticulate and bacteria/viruses at laboratory, local, and global scales; (iv) Sustainability including life cycle assessment, life cycle costing, and ecosystem toxicity/risk analysis; and (v) Environmental nanotechnology including nano-solutions for environmental problems, e.g., nanotechnology-enabled CO2 removal and nano-remediation of groundwater contaminants.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Associate Fellow of Higher Education Academy (AFHEA)
- Member, Exploring Ocean Iron Solutions (ExOIS) Consortium (https://oceaniron.org/who-we-are/)
- Member, Geochemical Society (GS, Member ID: 501239)
- Member, American Geophysical Union (AGU, Member ID: 1244452)
- Member, International Society for Porous Media (Interpore)
- Associate Fellow, Nexus – Connecting business with world-leading research, University of Leeds
- Member, Priestley International Centre for Climate (https://climate.leeds.ac.uk/Profiles/)
- Member, N8 Crop & Soil Innovation Pipeline (http://n8csip.org/2019/11/01/Dr-peyman-babakhani-university-of-leeds/)
- Member, International Association of Colloid and Interface Scientists
- Member, British Ecological Society (BES)
- Member, Water@Leeds (https://water.leeds.ac.uk/Profiles/Dr-peyman-babakhani/)
I teach and supervise MSc students at the School of Earth and Environment, the School of Civil Engineering, and the School of Computing.
Research groups and institutes
- Earth Surface Science Institute
- Cohen Geochemistry