Dr Andrew Fanning
- Position: Visiting Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Indicators of sustainability and well-being; Links between resource use and social performance; Doughnut Economics; Steady-state economy and degrowth; Complex systems and resilience
- Email: A.L.Fanning@leeds.ac.uk
- Website: Doughnut Economics Action Lab | Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
I am currently Data & Analysis Lead at Doughnut Economics Action Lab, and a Visiting Research Fellow in the Sustainability Research Institute. I was previously the recipient of a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellowship funded by the European Commission for the project 'Living Well: Provisioning Systems for Sustainable Resource Use and Human Well-Being' hosted at the Sustainability Research Institute under the supervision of Dr Daniel O'Neill.
My research in the field of Ecological Economics aims to identify the changes needed to maintain or enhance human well-being in a world where the environmental pressures of economic activity are kept within local and planetary boundaries. Most recently, I have carried out a conceptual study (with Dan O’Neill and Milena Buchs) that analyses six established theories to better understand the emerging notion of provisioning systems in the context of Kate Raworth’s ‘Doughnut of Social and Planetary Boundaries’ (published in Global Environmental Change). I have also conducted a recent quantitative analysis (with Dan O'Neill) on the links between well-being and carbon-intensive consumption for close to 120 countries over the 2005–2015 period (published in the Journal of Cleaner Production).
This latest research builds on a previous study by my colleagues and me that quantifies the sustainability of national resource use associated with meeting basic needs in more than 150 countries (published in Nature Sustainability and also available to view here). To help communicate our findings, I have led the development of an interactive website where you can visualise and explore all our quantitative results.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Policy Options for Sustainable and Equitable Economies
- Master's Development Economics
- BA Economics and International Development Studies
- European Society for Ecological Economics
- Association for Heterodox Economics
Research groups and institutes
- Economics and Policy for Sustainability
- Sustainability Research Institute