Dr Mohamed Gouiza
- 2015 – 2022: Research Fellow, University of Leeds, UK: Investigating the geodynamic evolution of rifted margins.
- 2013 – 2015: Research Associate, University of Saskatchewan, Canada: CMIC-Footprints Project, Unconformity-type Uranium ore system footprint.
- 2011 – 2013: Postdoctoral fellowship, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John’s, Canada: Reconstruction of the Newfoundland margin.
- 2007 – 2011: Ph.D., VU University Amsterdam, Netherlands: Mesozoic source-to-sink systems in NW Africa; geology of vertical movements during the birth and growth of the Moroccan rifted margin.
- 2006 – 2007: Master’s in Earth Sciences: complementary competence in informatics - Louis Pasteur University, EOST and UFR informatics, Strasbourg, France
- 2004 – 2006: Master’s in Earth Sciences - Louis Pasteur University, EOST, Strasbourg, France
- 2003 – 2004: Licence in Earth Sciences - Louis Pasteur University, EOST, Strasbourg, France
- 2000 – 2003: Undergraduate studies of Earth Science (and Hydrogeology) - Faculty of Sciences and Technology, Fez, Morocco
My research interest include identifying and quantifying processes controlling lithospheric deformation and the interaction between mantle and surface processes. The main focus of this research to date has been on processes governing lithospheric extension, which is expressed in the structural and stratigraphic architectures of continental rifts, the amount of horizontal and vertical motions occurring during and following rifting, and the relationship between mantle dynamics and surface topography in rift basins and adjacent domains.
I combine fieldwork and geophysical methods (i.e., seismic and potential field data) to illustrate the structural style and tectonics of crustal deformation; low-temperature thermochronology to date and quantify vertical movements of the Earths’s surface; and numeral modelling to perform basin analysis and examine the role/importance of geological processes at the reservoir, crustal, and lithospheric scales.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Applied Geoscience
- Basin Structure
- Planetary Exploration