Professor Andrea Jackson
- Position: Chair in Student Education and Engagement
- Areas of expertise: student engagement; student transition
- Email: A.V.Jackson@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: G17 Fairburn House
I currently work on a flexible part time basis with the National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS) supporting the development of their education and training programme.
I also continue to work with the University where I am a member of the new Leeds Institute for Teaching Excellence (LITE) establishing a mentoring scheme as a framework of support across the student education network at the University.
My pedagogic research interests include the challenges presented by the transition of students from school to University and the factors influencing student engagement and academic community building. I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and have received awards including a University of Leeds Student Education Fellowship (2009), a HEA National Teaching Fellowship (2013) and a University of Leeds Women of Achievement award (2015) in support and recognition of my work in this area.
I have previously worked on atmospheric science research projects investigating the chemical and physical factors affecting the presence of atmospheric oxidants, in particular hydrogen peroxide and organic hydroperoxides. My most recent work in this area involved laboratory based measurements to characterize the physical and chemical characteristics of aerosols derived from frost flowers that grow on the surface of young sea ice in polar regions.
- Chair of NCAS Training Advisory Group
- Co-ordinator for the LITE Mentoring Scheme
My pedagogic research interests include the challenges presented by the transition of students from school to University and the factors influencing student engagement and academic community building.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- BSc Environmental Science, University of Lancaster
- PhD Atmospheric Chemistry, University of Lancaster
- Postgraduate Certificate of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Research groups and institutes
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science