- Position: Aqueous Analytical Experimental Officer
- Areas of expertise: inductively coupled plasma; mass spectroscopy; optical emission spectroscopy; ICP-MS; ICP-OES; AAS
- Email: S.Reid@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 9.133a School of Earth and Environment
I am responsible for the running and maintenance of the Schools aqueous sample analytical facility, specialising in ICP-OES and ICP-MS analysis. Instrumentation in the facility includes;
- Thermo iCAP Qc ICP-MS.
- Thermo iCAP 7400 ICP-OES.
- Thermo AAS.
I carry out elemental analysis on a wide range of sample types including environmental and biomedical samples. Where appropriate I develop and validate new methods to achieve the desired analysis. This has included;
- Iron determination using cool plasma ICP-MS to determine neutrient levels in glacier waters.
- Phosphorous determination in high dissolved solids solutions by ICP-OES in support of research into the paleoenvironment.
- Iodine in urine determination in support of the School of Medicine.
In my previous work I was the Lab Manager of an analytical metallurgy lab where we tested metal samples for impurities. I used a range of equipment including Leco C and O analysers, ICP-MS, microwave digestion using HF acid, surface area analysers and particle size analysers.
I also worked in the Analytical Development team at the National Nuclear Lab in Sellafield for 5 years developing new methods of analysis for various radioisotopes.
Feel free to contact me if you require elemental analysis.
- MSc Environmental Analytical Chemistry, University of Aberdeen
- BSc Chemistry, University of Manchester
- Royal Society of Chemistry