Dr Stephen Stackhouse
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: mineral physics; lower mantle; deep Earth; density functional theory; elastic constants; thermal conductivity; phase transitions; spin transitions
- Email: S.Stackhouse@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1914
- Location: 8.138 School of Earth and Environment
Dr Stephen Stackhouse is an Associate Professor in solid Earth geophysics. His main research interests are in the area of theoretical mineral physics, performing quantum mechanical based calculations to determine the properties of lower mantle minerals at high temperatures and pressures.
- 2018- Associate Professor in Solid Earth Geophysics, University of Leeds
- 2010-2018 Lecturer in Solid Earth Geophysics, University of Leeds
- 2008-2010 Post-Doctoral Research Assistant, University of California, Berkeley
- 2006-2008 Post-Doctoral Research Assistant, University of Michigan
- 2003-2006 Post-Doctoral Research Assistant, University College London
I am a member of the Deep Earth Research Group.
My main research interests are in the area of theoretical mineral physics, performing quantum mechanical based calculations to determine the properties of lower mantle minerals at high temperatures and pressures. In particular, I am interested in phase transitions, spin transitions, elasticity and thermal conductivity.
I was principal investigator on a NERC funded project entitled Structure and Composition of Large Shear Velocity Provinces. The project, which is collaboration with Sebastian Rost, ran from 2013-2016.
- PhD Theoretical Chemistry, University of London
- MChem Chemistry, University of Manchester
- Member of the American Geophysical Union
- Member of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
My teaching relates to my research, which involves simulation and high-performance computing i.e. I mainly teach computer programming. In addition, I oversee the final year dissertation projects for the Geophysical Science students and teach geoelectrics on field trips.
I was programme leader for Geophysical Sciences from 2014-2018.
Research groups and institutes
- Ores and Mineralization
- Deep Earth
- Planetary Exploration
- Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics