Dr Helen Burns
- Position: Software Development Scientist
- Areas of expertise: numerical modelling; climate/ocean dynamics; python for atmospheric and ocean sciences; website design
- Email: H.L.Burns@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 10.115 School of Earth and Environment
- Website: Personal Home Page | GitHub | Twitter | LinkedIn | ORCID
I am a Software Development Scientist for CEMAC. Working on variety of projects within the School of Earth and Environment for example:
UNRESP: Support and vizualization on forecasting volcanic emissions in Nicuragua. (CALPUFF)
DECAFF: Impacts of deforestation on air quality and climate, workflow support (WRFChem)
PEGASUS: Support modelling peruvian glacier melt in a warming climate (WRF)
WCSSP: Storm Track Analysis plotting tools and training tools (Python)
SWIFT : Web Tools for Project Management and Vizualization tools for Satellite Images. (Python)
AMMA 2050 : Storm Track Analysis Tools. (Python)
I came into Earth Sciences doing an Integrated Masters undergraduate degree in Earth Sciences at Oxford University. I soon became interested in the Geophysical side of things particularly Ocean and Climate sciences which lead me choose a Master's Project studying eddy heat and salt fluxes in the North Atlantic, working closely with AOPP. I then moved to Southampton to do a PhD in numerical ocean modelling investigating diabatic eddies in the Southern Ocean. I've since moved into research software engineering, working with a variety of models and tools to faclitate technical research across the Earth Sciences.
I'm interested in taking exciting new analysis tools and making them reproduceable and usable by other scientists to move forward with as well investigating new tools to improve efficiency an functionality .
- Python for Atmospheric and Ocean Sciences
- Software Carpentary
- Numerical Modelling
- Machine Learning in Earth Sciences
- MEarthSci, Earth Sciences, Oxford University
- PhD, Numerical Ocean Modelling, University of Southampton
Assist with Python training courses.
Research groups and institutes
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science