Muriel Bonjean Stanton
- Position: Research Fellow in Decision Making under Uncertainty
- Areas of expertise: decision making under deep uncertainties, climate change adaptation, climate risk management, infrastructure (energy, transport, water, etc), participatory methods
- Email: M.C.BonjeanStanton@leeds.ac.uk
- Website: LinkedIn | ORCID
Muriel is currently exploring decision making under deep physical and social uncertainties in the UK transport sector. Her work involves developing a typology of decisions that could then be matched with various approaches of decision making under deep uncertainty methods (DMDUs). This work aims to support the application of tailored DMDUs methods in organisations, taking institutional, organisational and individual contexts into consideration.
Muriel holds a PhD in corporate climate adaptation focussing on electricity companies (generation, transmission and distribution) in Britain and France.
The funding for this research came from the BASE project (http://base-adaptation.eu/).
Previously, Muriel was a Senior Consultant for the Global Climate Adaptation Partnership (GCAP) and worked as a Researcher for the University of Oxford (UK), the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (UK), the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (USA).
Muriel has extensive experience, among others, in screening and climate proofing projects, policies and programmes for climate physical risks (African Development Bank, DfID, GGGI, Government of Zanzibar), developing and delivering adaptation web-based tools (i.e. writing use cases, managing an IT team , liaising with clients, using Agile project management, etc.). Muriel was also involved in assessing adaptation barriers of governance in Small Island Developing States (SIDS) and in further developing a methodology to track climate finance in the Millennium Development Banks (MDBs).
Muriel has more than 15 years' experience in building client-facing, long-lasting relationships; preparing tender responses, managing projects of various sizes, preparing and delivering training for clients, developing projects & research outputs (e.g. academic and non-academic writing), coaching and mentoring junior team members, trainees and undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Current research project: Multi Actor Adaptive Decision Making (MAADM)
MAADM is examining how we can make better decisions to transform infrastructure systems, taking into account deep physical and social uncertainties and crucially the fact that multiple actors must make decisions and interact to deliver system transformation.
- PhD, corporate climate adaptation (University of Leeds)
- European MSc, environmental technologies and management (UK, Denmark and Germany)
- MSc, health engineering and the environment (France)
- BSc, environmental engineering (France and Germany)
Research groups and institutes
- Sustainability Research Institute
- Business Organisations for Sustainable Societies
- Economics and Policy for Sustainability