Dr. Matthew Gaddes
Matthew Gaddes has been at Leeds since 2014 and was initially a PhD candidate, before completing his studies and becoming a postdoc in 2019. Since July 2020, he has been a European Space Agency Living Planet Fellow, and is part funded by the Centre for the Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tectonics (COMET) and the DEEPVOLC project. His work has focussed on monitoring subaerial volcanoes by using machine learning methods to interpret interferograms created by the Sentinel-1 satellites.
The detection of signs of volcanic unrest in Sentinel-1 interferograms through the use of machine learning. Methods used include:
- Neural networks:
- Use of Keras with Tensorflow.
- Training of convolutional neural networks (CNN).
- Blind signal separation methods:
- Principal component analysis (PCA).
- Spatial and temporal independent component analysis (ICA).
- The ICASO algorithm for assessing the reliability of ICA results.
- Non-negative matrix factorisation (NMF).
- Manifold learning methods:
- Multidimensional scaling (MDS).
- t-distributed stochastic neighbour embedding (t-SNE).
- Clustering methods:
- Agglomerative clustering.
- Density-based spatial clustering of applications with noise (DBSCAN).
- Hierarchical DBSCAN (HDBSCAN).
ICSAR – An algorithm to separate deformation and atmospheric signals in time series of interferograms using Independent Component Analysis (ICA).
LiCSAlert – An algorithm that uses interferograms created by the LiCSAR processer and timeseries formed by LiCSBAS to detect if volcanoes have entered a period of unrest.
SyInterferoPy – A collection of tools for making and manipulating synthetic interferograms.
SRTM-DEM-tools – A collection of tools for making and manipulating SRTM1 and SRTM3 digital elevation models (DEMs).<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Geophysics (University of Leeds)
- Master of Earth Sciences (The University of Oxford)
- American Geopysical Union (AGU)
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics