Dr Steve Arnold
Steve's research focuses on the processing and transport of trace gases and aerosols in the atmosphere, and their interactions with the Earth's climate system, biopshere, and society. This research is key to improving our ability to understand and predict changes in present-day and future climate, and risks to human health and ecosystems. Steve's resesarch uses numerical models in conjunction with observations from aircraft, satellites and surface sites to probe fundamental chemical and physical processes controlling these interactions.
Steve is Director of the Centre for Environmental Modelling and Computation (CEMAC).
- Academician of the International Eurasian Academy of Sciences.
- Chair International Arctic Science Committee Atmosphere Working Group.
- Co-chair of IGAC / IASC PACES (air Pollution in the Arctic: Climate, Environment and Societies) initiative
- Member of Arctic Council AMAP (Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme) Expert Group on short-lived climate forcers.
- Director: Centre For Environmental Modelling and Computation (CEMAC)
- Chemistry of the troposphere
- Atmospheric transport of trace contituents
- Air quality
- Short-lived climate pollutants in the Arctic
- Interactions between atmospheric composition, the biosphere, climate and air quality
- Qualifications: BA, MSci Natural Sciences (Cambridge)
- PhD Atmospheric Science (Leeds)
I teach on a number Level 2 and Level 3 modules on the topics of atmospheric chemistry and climate science. In addition, I teach on a Level 1 skills module, including co-leading the Level 1 field course. I am interested in improving student access to research computing, and through my role as CEMAC Director have developed new opportuntiies for undergraduate students to develop programming and modelling skills.
Research groups and institutes
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Aerosols
Current postgraduate researchers
- Hari Agung Adrianto
- Laura Kiely
- Matthew Rowlinson
- Ben Silver
- Tom Thorp
- Jamie Wilson
- Callum Smith
- Rebecca Kelly