Dr Evgenia Ilyinskaya
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: volcanoes; volcanic gases; volcanic aerosols; environmental impacts
- Email: E.Ilyinskaya@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9632
- Location: 7.14 Priestley Building
- Website: Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
I am Associate Professor at the Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics. My research focuses on volcanic gases and aerosol particles, with the overarching aim of monitoring volcanic activity and its impact on the environment and the atmosphere. My work involves sampling and measurement campaigns at active volcanoes and laboratory analyses. I have worked with volcanoes in Iceland, Central America, Hawaii, Antarctica, and Japan.
I grew up in Iceland where my interest in active volcanoes was ignited. I decided to focus on volcanic gases following two summers of field work internship at the Iceland Geo Survey. After completing my PhD I worked at the Icelandic volcano observatory (part of the Icelandic Met Office), where I pioneered implementation of volcanic gas measurements as a monitoring tool for Icelandic volcanic systems.
I led the compilation of the Catalogue of Icelandic Volcanoes http://icelandicvolcanoes.is This is a large collaboration between various institutes and civil protection in Iceland. The Catalogue is an open-access web resource intended to serve as an accurate and official source of information about the Icelandic volcanic systems.
2012-2015: British Geological Survey, Edinburgh.
2011-2012: Icelandic Meteorological Office (the national volcano observatory), Reykjavik.
2011-2012: Part-time lecturer at the Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland, Reykjavik.
- Chemistry of volcanic gas and aerosol
- Interaction of volcanic emissions with the background atmosphere
- Chemical evolution of volcanic plumes in the atmosphere
- Impact of volcanic gas and aerosol on the environment
- 2006-2010: Ph.D. in Volcanology. University of Cambridge,
- 2003-2006 B.Sc. Honours in Geology. Royal Holloway, University of London
- European Geophysical Union (EGU)
- International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior (IAVCEI)
- IAVCEI Commission on the Chemistry of Volcanic Gases (CCVG)
- IAVCEI Commission on Volcanic Hazard and Risk
- The Aerosol Society
I'm involved in undergraduate teaching at all levels, from introduction modules on chemistry, field mapping and general academic skills, to more specialised modules in later years (e.g. Volcanic processes at level 3 and 5)
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics