Professor Dominick Spracklen
- Position: Professor
- Areas of expertise: Air pollution; climate; aerosol; land-atmosphere interaction; forest fire; deforestation; land-use change; conservation
- Email: D.V.Spracklen@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 7488
- Location: 11.108 School of Earth and Environment
- Website: Dominick Spracklen Research Group | Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
I am Professor of Biosphere-Atmosphere Interactions at the University of Leeds.
I was a Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Advanced Fellow between 2009 and 2014. In 2016, I awarded a Philip Leverhulme Award. I currently hold a European Research Council Consolidator Fellowship (2018-2024) to study the impacts of tropical deforestation on regional climate.
My research demonstrates the widespread benefits of restoring healthy ecosystems for people, nature and our climate.
My research group combine models of the Earth's atmosphere, land surface and climate with observations and satellite remote sensing. We work to understand interactions between the biosphere, atmosphere and climate and the way that these interactions are being altered by human activity. We demonstrate how protecting and restoring the biosphere can have big benefits for our climate.
I use this evidence to work in partnership with organisations and communities around the world to help co-design and co-deliver nature recovery and climate action. I lead the Restoring Hardknott Forest and Upper Duddon Landscape Recovery projects. I sit on the Wild Ingleborough Steering Group. I act as a scientific advisor for UBoC and the World Land Trust helping to protect and restore forests around the world.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- MChem Chemistry, 1999, University of Leeds
- PhD, Development and Application of a Global Model of Aerosol Processes, 2005, University of Leeds
I teach on the Terrestrial Biosphere in the Earth System (SOEE3760, SOEE5970M) and field courses.
Research groups and institutes
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Aerosols
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science
Current postgraduate researchers
- Ben Silver
- Nike Doggart
- Callum Smith
- Xinyue He
- Paolo Sartorelli
- Tasmin Fletcher
- Cesca Darvill
- Resti Salmayenti
- Pei Xue
- Ian Willey