Dr Jonas Cromwell
- Position: Lecturer in Food Security
- Areas of expertise: Food security (household food insecurity); Surplus Food Redistribution; Food Loss and Waste; Agri-food system; Food Supply Chains; Food Quality and Safety Standards/Regulation, Qualitative Methods
- Email: J.Cromwell@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Room 7.59 EC Stoner
- Website: Twitter | Researchgate | ORCID
I am human geographer and food scholar with over 5 years of experience working on agrifood systems projects in Africa.
My research interests focuses on food loss and waste in global supply chains seeks to understand how the intersections and interactions between institutions (formal and informal rules, norms , regulations, standards ), materiality, and practices in agri-food systems work to generate food loss and waste; using food loss and waste as a lense to understand power relations and inequalities in food systems and supply chains; food system transformation especially smallholder agricultural systems – from domestic to export supply chains in Africa, food security and surplus food redistribution and household food insecurity in the UK. I joined the School of Food Science and Nutrition as a Lecturer in Food Security in July 2020.
Prior to this, I studied for my PhD in Human Geography at the University of Sheffield. My PhD research focused on exploring food loss and waste in avocado production systems in Tanzania focusing on both domestic and export production systems, using ethnographic approach. In addition to my PhD, I have MA in Social Research from University of Sheffield, MSc in Energy and Environmental Management from University of Glasgow Caledonia, MSc in Geoinformatics from Stuttgart University of Applied Sciences and BA Geography from the University of Cape Coast in Ghana.
I have also worked in several research, teaching and third sector roles in the fields of Energy Efficiency, Climate change and sustainability, including Department of Geography University of Sheffield, Birkbeck University of London, Food Works Sheffield, North Glasgow Housing Association, Carluke Development Trust, Neilston Development Trust.
- School Academic Lead for Inclusive Practice (SALIP)
- CR Lecturer
- Agri-food system
Food loss and waste in supply chains (food safety and quality regulations/standards, certification schemes, contract farming)
Smallholder farmers and livelihods
- PhD Human Geography
- MA Social Research
- MSc Energy and Environmental Management
- MSc Geoinformatics and Photogrammetry
- BA Social Science (Geography)
- Fellow - Royal Geographical Society (RGS-IBG)
- Fellow - Advance Higher Education Academy