Professor Andy Dougill
Professor Andy Dougill is a dryland environmental change researcher who has developed research approaches that integrate a range of disciplines including soil science, ecology, climate change, development studies and environmental social sciences. He has expertise in leading the design and implementation of inter-disciplinary ‘problem-based’ research projects focused on environmental sustainability issues at range of scales in a wide range of developing world contexts, with specific expertise across African agricultural systems. Research projects have gained significant external funding from a wide range of sources including GCRF, NERC, ESRC, Royal Society, Leverhulme Trust, EU, Royal Geographical Society, British Council and FCDO.
His work has developed innovative research methodologies for using scientific approaches together with local participation to ensure locally relevant research outputs in both dryland Africa and the UK uplands. He supervises a range of inter-disciplinary PhD projects looking at dryland environmental change and climate adaptation / mitigation issues linked to the ESRC Centre for Climate Change Economics & Policy, NERC/DFID Future Climate for Africa programme and to two large GCRF programme grants (AFRICAP and Africa-SWIFT). He is part of the leadership team of the GCRF-ARUA Food Systems Research Network for Africa (FS-Net Africa) led by the University of Pretoria and partnering across 10 African Universities.
Professor Dougill is the Dean for Global Development, having recently completed terms as the Executive Dean of Faculty of Environment (2013 – 2021) and was previously Head of School of Earth and Enviromment (2008 – 2013).
- Dean for Global Development
Prof Andy Dougill has core research interests in climate change adaptation and environmental sustainability monitoring approaches as applied to African agricultural and food systems. Key priority areas and ongoing projects include -
- Appraisal of Climate-Smart Agriculture interventions in terms of impacts on soil health and crop yields
- Agricultural and Food System Resilience, with specific emphasis on planning for climate change across southern & East Africa - https://africap.info/ & https://fsnetafrica.com/
- Climate change adaptation options for Malawi, based on appraisals of water resource management & agricultural adaptations - http://www.futureclimateafrica.org/project/umfula/
- Climate services & communications of weather information - https://africanswift.org/
- Dryland degradation monitoring & links to land policy, with a particular focus on the Kalahari region of Botswana
- PhD, Geography, University of Sheffield
- BSc, Geography, University of Sheffield
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
- Member of British Soil Science Society
Professor Andy Dougill has a wide range of student education and PhD interdisciplinary supervision experience that is now being applied to a series of Capability building training programmes. He also contributes to Level 1 modules on Environmental Science for Environmental Management and supervises project work for the MSc Environment and Development.
Research groups and institutes
- Sustainability Research Institute
- Environment and Development