Dr Nick Hood
- Position: Teaching and Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Geography; Spatial Analysis; Statistics; GIS; Retail.
- Email: N.A.Hood@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1455
- Location: 10.135 Irene Manton Building
- Website: ORCID
Nick is a Teaching and Research Fellow based in the Centre for Spatial Analysis and Policy (CSAP) in the School of Geography. Nick comes from a Geography background and developed an interest in quantitative techniques whilst studying for a BA (Human Geography) at University of Sheffield. He went on to study an MSc in Social and Spatial Inequalities (University of Sheffield) with a focus on GIS and Spatial Statistics before completing a PhD in Quantitative Human Geography at University of Leeds.
Nick’s research interests are in the areas of retail consumer behaviour, location analysis of public and private services (e.g. retail location planning), geodemographics, voting behaviour, housing, and more broadly, Geographical Information Science. Nick was a Research Fellow on the Open Research Area (ORA) Sub-National Context and Radical Right Support in Europe (SCoRE) project and is part of the Consumer Data Research Centre, an ESRC data investment. For an overview of the collaboration I have been involved in with the Property Analytics function at major grocery retailer, Sainsbury’s, see Sainsbury’s Property Analytics.
Nick currently supervises 1 PhD student:
- Ryan Urquhart (Data Analytics and Society Centre for Doctoral Training - Cohort 1): E-commerce in retail location modelling
- PhD, Quantitative Human Geography, University of Leeds, 2016
- MSc, Social and Spatial Inequalities, University of Sheffield, 2012
- BA, Human Geography, University of Sheffield, 2010
Nick is a Teaching Fellow in the School of Geography. Nick’s teaching covers a wide range of quantitative methods, specialising in spatial analysis and statistics and with a particular interest in applications in Retail, Politics and Housing.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Spatial Analysis and Policy