Dr Andy Newing
I am a Lecturer in Retail Geography based in the Centre for Spatial Analysis and Policy (CSAP). I completed my PhD at the University of Leeds and have previously worked as a Research Fellow and Temporary Lecturer at the University of Southampton. I am a qualified teacher and have previously taught Geography at Secondary level.
- Programme Lead for MSc CAMS (Geography)
I carry out applied high impact research in collaboration with commercial and public sector organisations. Research interests include spatial and quantitative analysis for retail location planning and analytics, consumer data analysis, health service delivery, census/neighbourhood analysis, geodemographics, household energy, transport and urban planning. I am part of the Consumer Data Research Centre, an ESRC data investment.
I am a co-investigator on the ESRC Funded project Understanding and enhancing the community value of traditional retail markets.
I supervise a number of PhD Students:
- Amanda Otley (White Rose Doctoral Training Centre): City Specific Geodemographics *Awarded best poster presentation at the 26th Annual GIScience Research UK (GISRUK) conference, University of Leicester, 17th-20th April 2018*
- Zi Ye (China Scholarship Council): Tourist retail behaviours derived from location based social media data
- Ryan Urquhart (Data Analytics and Society Centre for Doctoral Training - Cohort 1): E-commerce in retail location modelling
- Kim Butterfield (White Rose Doctoral Training Centre): Individual level models for retail location analytics.
- Lena Kilian (Data Analytics and Society Centre for Doctoral Training - Cohort 2): Spatial energy footprints
My work is regularly presented at academic conferences and industry events, recent presentations include:
- 'Understanding tourist multipurpose travel behaviour using Weibo check ins' Presentation (delivered by Zi Ye) at 27th Annual GIScience Research UK (GISRUK) conference, University of Newcastle, 23rd-26th April 2019.
- 'Understanding patterns of consumption-based greenhouse gas emissions in Bristol' Presentation (delivered by Lena Kilian) at 27th Annual GIScience Research UK (GISRUK) conference, University of Newcastle, 23rd-26th April 2019.
- 'Socio-demographic and spatial disaggregation of e-commerce use in the grocery market in Great Britain' Poster presentation (delivered by Ryan Urquhart) at 27th Annual GIScience Research UK (GISRUK) conference, University of Newcastle, 23rd-26th April 2019.
- Invited panellist 'Trends in Geo Intelligence and Analytics' at the ESRI GeoBusiness Seminar, 19th March 2019, Amsterdam.
- 'Exploring the requirement for Place-Specific Geodemographic Classifications' Presentation (delivered by Amanda Otley) at the European Forum for Geography and Statistics (EFGS), Helsinki, Finland, 16th-18th October 2018.
- 'Exploring consumer preference for on-line/off-line buying in the UK Grocery Retail Industry'. Presentation (delivered by Ryan Urquhart) at the Network of European Communication and Transport Activities Research (NECTAR) E-groceries, digitalization and sustainability meeting, Molde, Norway, 11th-12th October 2018.
- 'Assessing the presence of 'e-food deserts' in the UK groceries e-commerce sector'. Presentation delivered at the 58th ERSA Congress, Cork, Ireland, 28th-31st August 2018.
- 'Applied spatial modelling for retail location based decision making and impact assessment: incorporating the spatiotemporal dimension'. Presentation delivered at EIRASS 'Recent Advances in Retailing and consumer Services' Conference, Melia Madeira Mare, Madeira, 16th - 19th July 2018.
- 'ALDI's changing location strategy in the UK grocery market: from deep discounter to the wider market?'. Presentation (delivered by Nick Hood) at EIRASS 'Recent Advances in Retailing and Consumer Services' conference, Melia Madeira Mare, Madeira, 16th - 19th July 2018.
- 'Broadening the debate on retail saturation: An examination of the contemporary UK Grocery Market'. Presentation (delivered by Graham Clarke) at EIRASS 'Recent Advances in Retailing and Consumer Services' conference, Melia Madeira Mare, Madeira, 16th - 19th July 2018.
A full list of presentations from conferences and industry events can be viewed here.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD, Human Geography
- MSc, Remote Sensing and Spatial Analysis
- PGCE, Secondary Geography
- BA, Geography
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society with IBG [Secretary for the Yorkshire and North East Region]
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Regional Science Association - British and Irish Section (RSAI-BIS)
I lead the School of Geography contributions to the MSc in Consumer Analytics and Marketing Strategy (CAMS) co-delivered with Leeds University Business School.
I contribute to teaching, assessment and student support across our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, with a particular focus on GIS, Service Analysis, Network Analysis and Retail Modelling. I supervise dissertations at all levels and act as a personal tutor. I also complete visits for year in industry students.
I regularly deliver external training courses in GIS, spatial analysis and geographic modelling. These include courses delivered on behalf of the National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM) and also the Consumer Data Research Centre (CDRC)
I contributed to the 30th European Regional Science Association 2017 Summer School - GIS and Regional Science: Theory and Applications, 9th - 15th July, Lesvos Island, Greece [Scientific Committee and Lecturer].
Selected recent student projects supervised include:
- Sam Holmes (2018) Academic Analytics: Informing Falmouth University's marketing strategy with applied spatial analysis - Awarded The Society for Location Analysis Undergraduate Student Award 2018
- Sam Jones (2018) Understanding town centre performance in Wales: Developing a typology for benchmarking.
- Amanda Otley (2017) Developing an age specific community resiliance index for Leeds (Supported by Leeds City Council via LIDA).
- Jayashree Rangaswammy (2016-17) Use of spatial interaction models for the Fire and Rescue Service: A study in feasibility and application (Supported by Kent Fire and Rescue Service)
- Duncan Clayton-Stead (2016) An analysis of Argos concession store performance (Sponsor: Argos via CDRC)
- Charlotte Sturley (2016) A proof of concept agent-based model of consumer store choice behaviour (co-supervised with Alison Heppenstall) (Supported by a major grocery retailer) - GIScience Research Group of the RGS-IBG Masters Dissertation Award Prize Winner
- Rhiannon Thomas (2016) Geodemographic and Spatial Analysis of Leeds City Council's 'Bodyline' Gym and Leisure Centre membership to inform marketing strategy (Supported by Leeds City Council via LIDA)
- Alexander Bland (2015) Identifying fuel and poverty characteristics through e.on consumer records and geo-demographic segmentation data (Sponsor: e.on via CDRC)
- Thomas Berry (2015) Exploring the utility of the 2011 Work Place Statistics to help The Co-op better understand transient new store locations, worker flows and worker demographics (Sponsor: The co-operative foood via CDRC) – ESRC Prize Winner
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Spatial Analysis and Policy