Based on mutual research interests, the University of Leeds has partnered with the Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) in Shenzhen, China, to develop new collaborative projects.
As part of this collaboration, 4-year scholarships are available to support joint projects though a Split-Site PhD programme. Students registered on this programme are funded to undertake research both at Leeds and SUSTech.
- Current and future air pollution in South and Southeast Asia
- Dissecting seismoelectric wavefields in complex media
- Impacts of biomass burning on current and future air quality in Asia
- Estimating the magnitude and impact of emissions of chlorine species from China and South-East Asia
- Characterizing the forest biodiversity transition
- Water resource changes in mainland southeast Asia
- Water resources assessment in a coupled human and natural system
- Planning public art and architecture for sustainable urban environments
Research topics in Engineering and Physical Sciences are also offered within this programme.
To be considered for funding under this programme, you’ll need to meet Leeds’ minimum entry requirements for Split-Site research degrees. You should have, or expect to obtain the equivalent of a UK upper second class honours degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline. If English is not your first language, you must provide evidence that you have English language proficiency of at least IELTS 6.5 (with no component below 6.0) or an equivalent English language qualification.
You will spend the first year of the programme based in Leeds, followed by two years and nine months of research at SUSTech, based in Shenzhen. You will then return to Leeds to complete your thesis for three months in the final year.
Once you are enrolled on this programme, SUSTech will provide a studentship to fund your tuition fees and to contribute to your living costs, both during the period of study in Leeds and in Shenzhen.
How to apply
The application deadline for the current round of funding has now elapsed. For details of subsequent funding opportunities available within this programme please contact the SUSTech Graduate School Admissions Office, email: email@example.com