Awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for research in climate and extreme weather
The School of Earth and Environment has expertise in areas ranging from geology and geophysics, environmental science, meteorology and climate science, to environmental social science together under one roof. We have just over 1,100 students from almost 80 countries studying with us.
The quality of our research, and the funding it attracts, means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research, which means you will be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the top of their fields.
To keep up to date with what’s happening in the School follow us on Twitter.
- Awarded a prestigious Queen's Anniversary Prize (2021) for research in climate and extreme weather, aiding vulnerable communities in the global south with new forecasting and warning systems.
- 25th in the world for Atmospheric Science, ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021
- 10th in the UK for Earth and Marine Sciences, Guardian University Guide 2022
- Top 25 in the world for Earth and Marine Sciences, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022
- Top 10 in the UK for Geography and Environmental Science, Complete University Guide 2023
- Top 50 in the world for Environmental Studies, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022
- Top 10 in the UK for Geology, Complete University Guide 2023
- 22nd in the world for Geology, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022
- 26th in the world for Geophysics, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022
- The University of Leeds is among the top 100 universities, QS World University Rankings 2023
- University of Leeds students are among the top 5 most targeted by top employers according to The Graduate Market 2022, High Fliers Research
- 89% overall student satisfaction for Earth Sciences, National Student Survey 2021 and ranked 4th in the Russell Group
- We are a member of the Russell Group of research-intensive universities
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021
The School of Earth and Environment has an excellent reputation for world-class research and innovative teaching. As recognised in the latest Research Excellence Framework (2021).
Unit of assessment: Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences
- Our research environment was judged to be conducive to producing research of world-leading or internationally excellent quality, and enabling outstanding impact in terms of its vitality and sustainability.
- Overall, 96% of research activity across our UoA is rated as either ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.
- 95% of our outputs (publications) were determined to be world-leading or internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
- 94% of our impact case studies had outstanding or very considerable impacts in terms of their reach and significance.
- #1 for first for research power – Times Higher Education – ‘research power’ is the overall quality of our submission (defined here by the Grade Point Average (GPA)), multiplied by the full-time equivalent number of researchers submitted.
We have been commended for our strong and continued commitment to gender equality in the form of a prestigious Athena SWAN Silver award.