Dr Jen Dyer
- Position: Associate Professor (Teaching and Scholarship)
- Areas of expertise: Creative qualitative methods; Mixed Ability sport; stakeholder engagement; social inclusion; teaching
- Email: J.Dyer@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0226
- Location: 11.106 School of Earth and Environment
I joined SRI in 2007 and carried out my PhD focusing on the impacts of the biodiesel crop, Jatropha curcas on livelihoods in Malawi. After completing my PhD, I worked as a Postdoctoral Research Assistant on a number of projects around natural resource management, climate compatible development and the mining industry in southern and eastern Africa. My research approach in these projects emphasised participatory methods and stakeholder engagement.
After deciding to focus my research closer to home, I now apply similar research approaches to other contexts such as pedagogy, student engagement and, most recently, to social inclusion through Mixed Ability Sports.
I hold a Teaching and Scholarship Lectureship in Sustainability and I use my position to make as much positive impact as I can through teaching, research and other miscellaneous activities.
- Leeds Sustainable Curriculum
I am interested in research which has real impact and which approaches issues holistically, taking into account a multitude of perspectives. As such, my research is interdisciplinary and focuses on using creative qualitative methods in a variety of contexts and around a range of topics. I prioritise engaging relevant stakeholders at all stages in research in order to increase the relevance and impact of research findings.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Environment and Development (University of Leeds)
- MSc Environment and Development (University of Manchester)
- BSc Biological Sciences: Plant Biology (University of Birmingham)
I teach on the BSc Sustainability and Environmental Management, BA Environment and Business and MSc Sustainability courses.
I am a member of the Leeds Sustainable Curriculum Working Group. Through this we are seeking to embed sustainability in curricula across the University. I work closely with the Sustainability Service on this and the work has won the EAUC Green Gown award for Learning and Skills. I also lead the Sustainability Action Group which provides students with a space to explore their degree content in an applied way.
Research groups and institutes
- Sustainability Research Institute
- Social and Political Dimensions of Sustainability