Dr Susanna Ebmeier
- Apr 2019 onwards: NERC Independent Research Fellow, University of Leeds
- May 2016 - Mar 2019: Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, Univeristy of Leeds
- Apr 2015 - May 2016: European Space Agency Fellow, University of Bristol
- Sep 2012 - March 2015: STREVA & COMET PDRA, University of Bristol
- Oct 2008 - Sep 2012: DPhil studentship (awarded March 2013), University of Oxford
- Jan 2012 - Apr 2012: NERC Policy Fellow, Scottish Parliament Research Centre
- BSc (Hons.) Geophysics (awarded July 2008), University of Edinburgh
I investigate different aspects of volcanic activity using satellite remote sensing. I am interested in the physical processes that control the character of volcanic activity, including magma storage, edifice growth & collapse, and volcanic interactions. An important aspect of my research using satellite imagery is exploring how it can be made useful for volcano monitoring and assessing volcanic hazards. I also have an interest in the ways in which the emission of gases affects the Earth's environment.
Current PhD students:
Edna Dualeh, since October 2017, Observing volcanic eruption dynamics from satellite radar intensity data
Eoin Reddin, since October 2018, Surface deformation from stalled magma
Sani Garba, since Summer 2018, Remote sensing of African wetlands
2014-2015, University of Bristol, Kirsten Stephens, 'Transient deformation associated with explosive eruption measured at Masaya volcano (Nicaragua) using Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar'. Paper here.
Final year student projects:
2016-17, Rob Watson, 'Topographic analysis of volcanic structures on Chiles and Cerro Negro volcanoes using DEMs derived from TanDEM-X bistatic satellite radar'
2017-18, Alexandra Odell, 'Investigation into the 2014 eruption of Kelud volcano, Indonesia using CosmoSkyMed data'
2018-19, Aidan Loasby, 'Geodetic investigation of recent Costa Rican volcanism'
2018-19, Emily Holland, 'Exploring the impact of emissions from marine volcanoes'
2017-18, Alexander Paul, 'Hillslope processes and earthquakes in Central Italy using Sentinel-1 satellite radar techniques'<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- DPhil, University of Oxford
- BSc, Geophysics, University of Edinburgh
I run the first year tutorial module for the geophysics degrees. This module involves the development of scientific writing and presentations skills, opportunities to practise reading scientific papers and exercises in quantitative reasoning, critical analysis and philosophy of science. I also teach Remote Sensing for Geology and Geography Students (2nd years) and on the final year geophysics field trip to Lanzarote. Slides and other resources are available through Minerva for those registered on the modules.
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics