Dr Amanda Maycock
- Position: Associate Professor in Climate Dynamics
- Areas of expertise: Climate science; climate change; climate modelling; midlatitude dynamics; tropical widening; chemistry-climate interactions; stratosphere; ozone layer; radiative transfer
- Email: A.C.Maycock@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9793
- Location: 10.21 Priestley Building
- Website: Twitter | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am an Associate Professor in Climate Dynamics and Director of the Institute for Atmospheric and Climate Science (ICAS) at the University of Leeds.
- 2018 Philip Leverhulme Prize (Leverhulme Trust)
- 2019 Arne Richter Award for Outstanding Early Career Researchers (European Geosciences Union)
Independent Research Fellowships:
- CIRES Senior Scientist Visiting Fellowship, NOAA, Boulder, 2016
- NERC Independent Research Fellow, 2015-20
- University Academic Fellow, 2015-17
- Junior Research Fellow, St Catharine's College, Cambridge, 2013-15
- AXA Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Cambridge, 2013-15
- Lead Author of Working Group I of the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report
- Review Editor of WMO/UNEP 2022 Ozone Assessment Report
- Lead Author of WMO/UNEP 2018 Ozone Assessment Report
- Co-chair of WCRP/SPARC Activity on Atmospheric Temperature Change and their Drivers
- Steering committee member of AerChemMIP for CMIP6
- Co-Editor for Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics
- Member of NERC Peer Review College
- Chair of Royal Meteorological Society Meetings Committee
- Co-chair of Scientific Organising Committee for 2018 SPARC General Assembly
- International Space Science Institute team (ISSI) “Tropical Width Impacts on the STratosphere (TWIST)", 2019-2020
- International Space Science Institute team (ISSI) "Tropical Width Diagnostics Intercomparison Project (TWDIP)", 2017-2018
- Member of the International Commission on the Middle Atmosphere (ICMA), 2019-
- Member of the US CLIVAR working group on 'Changing Width of the Tropical Belt', 2017-2019
- Member of Met Office's Process Evaluation Group on the 'Tropical Tropopause Layer', 2015-18
- International Space Science Institute team (ISSI) "Scenarios of Future Solar Activity for Climate Modelling", 2015-16
- Director of Institute of Climate and Atmospheric Science
- Academic Lead for Physical Climate Change Group
- NERC PANORAMA DTP Atmosphere and Climate Theme Leader
My research focuses on large-scale climate dynamics including processes affecting climate variability and change in the stratosphere and troposphere.
- Climate dynamics
- Large-scale circulation
- Composition-climate coupling
- Stratosphere-troposphere interactions
- Radiative transfer
- Understanding Composition-Climate Feedbacks in the Earth System (PI, 2015-20, NERC)
- CONSTRAIN (Co-I, 2019-2023, EU H2020)
- SMURPHS (Co-I, 2015-2019, NERC)
- Joint iCASP and UKCP18 demonstrator project (Co-I, 2017, NERC)
Papers in review:
- Huang, J., P. Hitchcock, A. C. Maycock, C. M. McKenna, W. Tian, Risk of Severe Cold Air Outbreaks Substantially Higher during Weak Polar Vortex Conditions, Communications Earth and Environment, revised 05/2021.
- McKenna, C. M. and A. C. Maycock, Multi-Model Large Ensemble Projections of the North Atlantic Oscillation during the 21st Century, Geophys. Res. Lett., in revision.
- Snoll, B., R. F. Ivanovic, P. J. Valdes, A. C. Maycock, L. J. Gregoire, Effect of orographic gravity wave drag on Northern hemisphere climate in transient simulations of the last deglaciation, submitted to Climate Dynamics.
- Chrysanthou, A., A. C. Maycock, M. P. Chipperfield, The utility of indirect measures of the lower stratospheric residual circulation, in prep.
- Maycock, A. C., A. Drinkwater, L. J. Gregoire, A. Lacour, Anthropogenic contribution to the intense warming over Greenland in July 2012, in prep.
- Trascasa-Castro, P. et al., Atlantic Multidecadal Variability modulates ENSO dynamics, GRL, in prep.
- PhD, Atmosphere, Oceans and Climate, University of Reading, 2012
- MSc, Atmosphere, Oceans and Climate, University of Reading, 2008
- MPhys, Physics with Astrophysics, University of Manchester, 2006
- Member, Royal Meteorological Society
- Member, European Geophysical Union
Current research group:
- Will Dow (CASE with Met Office), Atmospheric forcing of decadal climate variability, 2018-
- James Norman (CASE with WEMC), Developing actionable seasonal climate information for the wind and solar industry, 2017-
- Jacob Perez (EPSRC Fluids CDT; with Met Office), Regime behaviour of Earth’s jet streams and role for recent extreme weather, 2020-
- Paloma Trascasa (CASE with Barcelona Supercomputing Center), Modulation of El Niño Southern Oscillation and its impacts by the mean climate state, 2019-
- Tom Wood, The response of the Southern hemisphere midlatitude circulation to forcing, 2017-
- Sachin Jugjeewon, Regional climate impacts of tropical widening, 2020-
- Vincent Charnay (U. Lyon), Influence of sea surface temperatures on projected changes in extratropical circulation, 2021-
Past group members
Dr Andreas Chrysanthou (PhD Leeds, 2020; now PDRA Leeds); Marjahn Finlayson (MRes Leeds, 2020, now Cape Eleuthera Institute); Ruari Phipps (BSc Leeds, 2020, now MSc Leeds); Dr Jake Smith (PhD Cambridge, 2019, now PDRA at Uni. Cambridge); Paloma Trascasa (MRes Leeds, 2018, now PhD student Uni. Leeds); David Feitschinger (MSc Leeds, 2018, now Graduate Consultant at Arup); Ella Wingard (Summer intern, 2018, now third year Env Sci); Rohan Patel (BSc Leeds, 2018, now Graduate Consultant at CERC); Dr Scott Yiu (PhD Cambridge, 2018, now data scientist at De Beers); Dr Michelle McCrystall (PhD Cambridge, 2017, now PDRA at Uni. Manitoba); Tom Bartle (MRes Leeds, 2017, now Air Quality Consultant at MLM Group); Gibbon Masukwedza (MRes Leeds, 2016, now PhD student at Uni. Surrey); Tom Claxton (BA Cambridge, 2014, now PhD student at Lancaster Uni); Grainne McGread (BA Cambridge, 2013, now at Bank of England); Owain Rutherford (summer student Leeds, 2017, now Software Engineer at Illuminate Technologies); Alice Drinkwater (summer student Leeds, 2016, now PhD student at Edinburgh Uni); Digory Smith (BA Cambridge, 2014, now Content Development Lead at Sparx).
Research groups and institutes
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science
- Climate Science and Impacts
- Atmospheric and Cloud Dynamics
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Aerosols