Dr Amanda Maycock
- Position: Associate Professor in Climate Dynamics
- Areas of expertise: Climate science; climate change; climate modelling; midlatitude dynamics; tropical widening; chemistry-climate interactions; stratosphere; ozone layer; radiative transfer
- Email: A.C.Maycock@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9793
- Location: 10.21 Priestley Building
- Website: Twitter | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am a NERC Independent Research Fellow and Associate Professor in Climate Dynamics in the Institute for Atmospheric and Climate Science (ICAS) at the University of Leeds.
- 2018 Philip Leverhulme Prize (Leverhulme Trust)
- 2019 Arne Richter Award for Outstanding Early Career Researchers (European Geosciences Union)
Independent Research Fellowships:
- CIRES Visiting Fellowship, NOAA, Boulder, 2016
- NERC Independent Research Fellow, 2015-
- University Academic Fellow, 2015-
- Junior Research Fellow, St Catharine's College, Cambridge, 2013-15
- AXA Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Cambridge, 2013-15
- Lead Author of Working Group I of the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report
- Lead Author of WMO/UNEP 2018 Ozone Assessment Report
- Co-chair of WCRP/SPARC Activity on Atmospheric Temperature Change and their Drivers
- Steering committee member of AerChemMIP for CMIP6
- Co-Editor for Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics
- Chair of Royal Meteorological Society Meetings Committee
- Co-chair of Scientific Organising Committee for 2018 SPARC General Assembly
- International Space Science Institute team (ISSI) “Tropical Width Impacts on the STratosphere (TWIST)", 2019-2020
- International Space Science Institute team (ISSI) "Tropical Width Diagnostics Intercomparison Project (TWDIP)", 2017-2018
- Member of the International Commission on the Middle Atmosphere (ICMA), 2019-
- Member of the US CLIVAR working group on 'Changing Width of the Tropical Belt', 2017-2019
- Member of Met Office's Process Evaluation Group on the 'Tropical Tropopause Layer', 2015-18
- International Space Science Institute team (ISSI) "Scenarios of Future Solar Activity for Climate Modelling", 2015-16
- School of Earth and Environment Atmosphere Representative for NERC DTP
- Academic Lead for Physical Climate Change Group
My research focuses on large-scale climate dynamics including processes affecting climate variability and change in the stratosphere and troposphere.
- Climate dynamics
- Large-scale circulation
- Composition-climate coupling
- Stratosphere-troposphere interactions
- Radiative transfer
- Understanding Composition-Climate Feedbacks in the Earth System (PI, 2015-20, NERC)
- CONSTRAIN (Co-I, 2019-2023, EU H2020)
- SMURPHS (Co-I, 2015-2019, NERC)
- Joint iCASP and UKCP18 demonstrator project (Co-I, 2017, NERC)
- Bader, J., J. Jungclaus, N. Krivova, S. Lorenz, A. C. Maycock, T. Raddatz, H. Schmidt, M. Toohey, M. Claussen, Global temperature modes shed light on the Holocene temperature conundrum, Nature Communications, revised 01/20.
- Chrysanthou, A., A. C. Maycock, M. P. Chipperfield, Decomposing the response of the Brewer Dobson circulation to an abrupt quadrupling in CO2, Weather and Climate Dynamics, submitted 01/20.
- Maycock, A. C., C. J. Smith, A. Rap, O. Rutherford, On the structure of instantaneous radiative forcing kernels for greenhouse gases, J. Atmos. Sci., in revision.
- Maycock, A. C., G. I. T. Masukwedza, P. Hitchcock, I. R. Simpson, A regime perspective on the North Atlantic eddy-driven jet response to sudden stratospheric warmings, J. Climate, in revision.
- The impact of changes in tropical sea surface temperatures over 1979-2012 on Northern hemisphere high latitude climate, J. Climate, revised 11/19.
- Staten, P. W., K. M. Grise, S. M. Davis, K. B. Karnauskas, D. W. Waugh, A. C. Maycock, Q. Fu, K. Cook, O. Adam, I. R. Simpson, R. J. Allen, K. Rosenlof, G. Chen, C. C. Ummenhofer, X.-W. Quan, J. P. Kossin, N. A. Davis, and S.-W. Son, 2019: Tropical Widening: From global variations to regional impacts. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., in revision.
- Steiner, A. K., F. Ladstädter, W. J. Randel, A. C. Maycock, C. Claud, Q. Fu, H. Gleisner, L. Haimberger, S.-P. Ho, P. Keckhut, T. Leblanc, C. Mears, L. Polvani , B. Santer, T. Schmidt, V. Sofieva, R. Wing, C.-Z. Zou, Observed temperature changes in the troposphere and stratosphere over 1979 to 2018, J. Climate, submitted 12/19.
- Wood, T., A. C. Maycock, P. M. Forster, T. B. Richardson, T. Andrews, O. Boucher, D. Fläschner, G. Myhre, B. H. Samset, A. Kirkevåg, J.-F. Lamarque, J. Mülmenstädt, D. Olivié, T. Takemura, D. Watson-Parris, The Southern hemisphere midlatitude circulation response to rapid adjustments and feedbacks, J. Climate, submitted 12/19.
- Zhao, X., R. Allen, T. Wood and A. C. Maycock, Tropical belt width proportionately more sensitive to aerosols than greenhouse gases, GRL, submitted 11/19.
- Maycock, A. C., A. Drinkwater, L. J. Gregoire, A. Lacour, Anthropogenic contribution to the intense warming over Greenland in July 2012, in prep.
- Trascasa, P., T. B. Richardson, P. M. Forster, G. Myhre, A. C. Maycock, Response of hydrologic extremes to CO2 and black carbon over Africa: A multi-model study, in prep.
- PhD, Atmosphere, Oceans and Climate, University of Reading, 2012
- MSc, Atmosphere, Oceans and Climate, University of Reading, 2008
- MPhys, Physics with Astrophysics, University of Manchester, 2006
- Associate Fellow, Royal Meteorological Society
- Member, European Geophysical Union
Current research group:
- Dr Christine McKenna (CONSTRAIN project), 2019-
- Andreas Chrysanthou, How will climate change affect the stratospheric circulation?, Leeds, (2016-)
- James Norman (CASE with WEMC), Developing actionable seasonal climate information for the wind and solar industry, Leeds, (2017-)
- Paloma Trascasa (CASE with Barcelona Supercomputing Center), Modulation of El Niño Southern Oscillation and its impacts by the mean climate state, Leeds, (2019-)
- Tom Wood, The midlatitude circulation response to forcing, Leeds, (2017-)
- Will Dow (CASE with Met Office), Atmospheric forcing of decadal climate variability, Leeds, (2018-)
- Marjahn Finlayson, Projected changes in tropical cyclone impacts in the Bahamas, (2019-)
Past group members
Dr Jake Smith (PhD Cambridge, 2019, now PDRA at Uni. Cambridge); Paloma Trascasa (MRes Leeds, 2018, now PhD student Uni. Leeds); David Feitschinger (MSc Leeds, 2018, now Graduate Consultant at Arup); Ella Wingard (Summer intern, 2018, now third year Env Sci); Rohan Patel (BSc Leeds, 2018, now Graduate Consultant at CERC); Dr Scott Yiu (PhD Cambridge, 2018, now data scientist at De Beers); Dr Michelle McCrystall (PhD Cambridge, 2017, now PDRA at Exeter Uni); Tom Bartle (MRes Leeds, 2017, now at Met Office); Gibbon Masukwedza (MRes Leeds, 2016, now PhD student at Uni. Surrey); Tom Claxton (BA Cambridge, 2014, now PhD student at Lancaster Uni); Grainne McGread (BA Cambridge, 2013, now at Bank of England); Owain Rutherford (summer student Leeds, 2017, now Software Engineer at Illuminate Technologies); Alice Drinkwater (summer student Leeds, 2016, now PhD student at Edinburgh Uni); Digory Smith (BA Cambridge, 2014, now Content Development Lead at Sparx).
Research groups and institutes
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science
- Climate Science and Impacts
- Atmospheric and Cloud Dynamics
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Aerosols