Dr Amanda Maycock
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: Climate science; climate change; climate modelling; midlatitude dynamics; tropical widening; chemistry-climate interactions; stratosphere; ozone layer; radiative transfer
- Email: A.C.Maycock@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9793
- Location: 10.21 Priestley Building
- Website: Twitter | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am a NERC Independent Research Fellow and Associate Professor in Climate Dynamics in the Institute for Atmospheric and Climate Science (ICAS) at the University of Leeds.
- 2018 Philip Leverhulme Prize (Leverhulme Trust)
- 2019 Arne Richter Award for Outstanding Early Career Researchers (European Geosciences Union)
Independent Research Fellowships:
- CIRES Visiting Fellowship, NOAA, Boulder, 2016
- NERC Independent Research Fellow, 2015-
- University Academic Fellow, 2015-
- Junior Research Fellow, St Catharine's College, Cambridge, 2013-15
- AXA Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Cambridge, 2013-15
- Lead Author of Working Group I of the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report
- Lead Author of WMO/UNEP 2018 Ozone Assessment Report
- Co-chair of WCRP/SPARC Activity on Atmospheric Temperature Change and their Drivers
- Steering committee member of AerChemMIP for CMIP6
- Co-Editor for Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics
- Chair of Royal Meteorological Society Meetings Committee
- Co-chair of Scientific Organising Committee for 2018 SPARC General Assembly
- International Space Science Institute team (ISSI) "Tropical Width Impacts on the STratosphere (TWIST)", 2019-2020
- International Space Science Institute team (ISSI) "Tropical Width Diagnostics Intercomparison Project (TWDIP)", 2017-2018
- Member of the US CLIVAR working group on 'Changing Width of the Tropical Belt', 2017-2019
- Member of Met Office's Process Evaluation Group on the 'Tropical Tropopause Layer', 2015-18
- International Space Science Institute team (ISSI) "Scenarios of Future Solar Activity for Climate Modelling", 2015-16
- School of Earth and Environment Atmosphere Representative for NERC DTP
- Academic Lead for Physical Climate Change Group
My research focuses on large-scale climate dynamics including processes affecting climate variability and change in the stratosphere and troposphere.
- Climate dynamics
- Large-scale circulation
- Composition-climate coupling
- Stratosphere-troposphere interactions
- Radiative transfer
- Understanding Composition-Climate Feedbacks in the Earth System (PI, 2015-20, NERC)
- CONSTRAIN (Co-I, 2019-2023, EU H2020)
- SMURPHS (Co-I, 2015-2019, NERC)
- Joint iCASP and UKCP18 demonstrator project (Co-I, 2017, NERC)
- Maycock, A. C., A. Drinkwater, L. J. Gregoire, A. Lacour, Anthropogenic contribution to the intense warming over Greenland in July 2012, in revision.
- Bader, J., J. Jungclaus, N. Krivova, S. Lorenz, A. C. Maycock, T. Raddatz, H. Schmidt, M. Toohey, M. Claussen, Global temperature modes shed light on the Holocene temperature conundrum, Nature Comms, in revision.
- https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-2019-260, revised 07/2019.
- The impact of changes in tropical sea surface temperatures over 1979-2012 on Northern hemisphere high latitude climate, J. Climate, submitted 06/19.
- Maycock, A. C. et al., On the structure of greenhouse gas radiative forcing kernels, J. Atmos. Sci., in prep.
- Wood, T., A. C. Maycock et al., Fast and slow responses of the Southern hemisphere midlatitude circulation to forcing, J. Climate, in prep.
- PhD, Atmosphere, Oceans and Climate, University of Reading
- MSc, Atmosphere, Oceans and Climate, University of Reading
- MPhys, Physics with Astrophysics, University of Manchester
- Associate Fellow, Royal Meteorological Society
- Member, European Geophysical Union
Current research group:
- Christine McKenna (CONSTRAIN H2020 project), starting 1 Oct 2019
- Jake Smith (CASE with Met Office), Processes determining stratospheric water vapour in climate models, Cambridge, (2015-)
- Andreas Chrysanthou, How will climate change affect the stratospheric circulation?, Leeds, (2016-)
- Tom Wood, The midlatitude circulation response to forcing, Leeds, (2017-)
- James Norman (CASE with WEMC), Developing actionable seasonal climate information for the wind and solar industry, Leeds, (2017-)
- Will Dow (CASE with Met Office), Atmospheric forcing of decadal climate variability, Leeds, (2018-)
- Paloma Trascasa-Castro (CASE with Barcelona Supercomputing Center), Modulation of El Niño Southern Oscillation and its impacts by the mean climate state, Leeds, (2019-)
Past group members
Paloma Trascasa-Castro (MRes Leeds, 2018, now PhD student Uni. Leeds); David Feitschinger (MSc Leeds, 2018, now at Arup); Ella Wingard (Summer REP intern, 2018, now second year Env Sci); Rohan Patel (BSc Leeds, 2018, now Graduate Consultant at CERC); Dr Scott Yiu (PhD Cambridge, 2018); Dr Michelle McCrystall (PhD Cambridge, 2017, now post-doc at Exeter Uni); Tom Bartle (MRes Leeds, 2017, now at Met Office); Gibbon Masukwedza (MRes Leeds, 2016, now at Zimbabwe Met Service); Tom Claxton (BA Cambridge, 2014, now PhD student at Lancaster Uni); Grainne McGread (BA Cambridge, 2013, now at Bank of England); Owain Rutherford (summer student Leeds, 2017); Alice Drinkwater (summer student Leeds, 2016, now PhD student at Edinburgh Uni); Digory Smith (BA Cambridge, 2014, now Content Scientist at Sparx).
Research groups and institutes
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science
- Climate Science and Impacts
- Atmospheric and Cloud Dynamics
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Aerosols