Dr Andrew Ross
- Position: Associate Professor in Dynamical Meteorology
- Areas of expertise: boundary-layer meteorology; mountain meteorology; land-atmosphere interactions
- Email: A.N.Ross@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 7590
- Location: 11.01 Priestley Building
- Website: Twitter | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I joined the School in October 2000 as a UWERN (later NCAS Weather) Research Fellow in 'Orographic flows'. Since 2005 I have been a Lecturer, then Associate Professor in Dynamical Meteorology in the School. I have broad research interests in boundary layer and mountain meteorology.
Before coming to Leeds I took an undergraduate degree in Mathematics at the University of Cambridge. I then undertook a PhD with Paul Linden and Stuart Dalziel in the Fluid Dynamics Laboratory in DAMTP. My thesis, entitled 'Gravity Currents on Slopes', looked at the effect of slope and wind on a gravity current.
- Co-director EPSRC CDT Fluid Mechanics
My research interests are in boundary layer and mesoscale meteorology, particularly interactions between the atmosphere and orography (hills and mountains). Particular interests include boundary layer flows over hills, boundary layer - forest canopy interactions, convection over orography, cold air pooling and fog formation in valleys, gravity currents and cold pools and tropical cyclones. I am a lead member of the dynamics and clouds research group. I am also involved in a number of interdisciplinary projects, working with glaciologists on glacier - atmosphere interaction and with biologists on bird flight paths.
My research involves a mixture of field and lab experiments, theory and numerical modelling. In addition to working with other members of ICAS I collaborate with a number of external groups including colleagues at the Met Office, Forest Research, British Antarctic Survey, University of Swansea, Univesity of Reading, NCMRWF (India) and CSIRO (Australia). I sit on the Met Office - Leeds research advisory panel.
I am currently Co-Editor in Chief of the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society and on the NERC peer review college. I am also acting co-director of the EPSRC CDT in Fluid Dynamics.
- PhD, Applied Mathematics, University of Cambridge
- MMath Mathematics, University of Cambridge
- Fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society
- Member of the American Meteorological Society
I teach on a range of meteorology-related modules in the school of Earth and Environment and contribute to the MSc component of the CDT in Fluid Dynamics.
Current PhD students
- Daniel Ward (CDT Fluid dynamics)
- Will Torgerson
- Emmanouil Lempidakis (Swansea Univ)
- Jonathan Coney
- Amethyst Johnson
- Jingru Liu
Former staff / students
- Helen Wells (Met Office)
- Victoria Smith (NCAS / Leeds)
- Zhihua Xie (Imperial)
- Rosey Grant (BAS)
- Bradley Jemmett-Smith
- Alex Roberts (Leeds)
- Stephanie Fiedler (Max-Planck Institute, Hamburg)
- Beth Good
- John Hughes
- Jonathan Pennells
- Jenny Turton (Friedrich-Alexander Universitat, Erlangen-Nurnberg)
- Craig Poku (York)
- John Ashcroft (JBA)
- Anne Barber (JBA)
- Anya Schlich-Davies (DEFRA)
- Claudio Bravo Lechuga (Centro de Estudios Científicos, Valdiva, Chile)
- Megan Bickle (DEFRA)
Research groups and institutes
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science
- Atmospheric and Cloud Dynamics