Professor Dominick Spracklen
- Position: Professor
- Areas of expertise: Air pollution; climate; aerosol; land-atmosphere interaction; forest fire; deforestation; land-use change; conservation
- Email: D.V.Spracklen@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 7488
- Location: 11.108 School of Earth and Environment
- Website: Dominick Spracklen Research Group | Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
I am Professor of Biopshere-Atmosphere Intearctions at the University of Leeds.
I was a Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Advanced Fellow between 2009 and 2014. In 2016, I awarded a Philip Leverhulme Award. I currently hold a European Research Council Consolidator Fellowship (2018-2023) to study the impacts of tropical deforestation on regional climate.
I am interested in understanding interactions between the biosphere, atmosphere and climate and the way that these interactions are being altered by human activity. In particular I want to help understand how deforestation impacts air quality and climate.
My research group combine models of the Earth's atmosphere, land surface and climate with observations and satellite remote sensing.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- MChem Chemistry, 1999, University of Leeds
- PhD, Development and Application of a Global Model of Aerosol Processes, 2005, University of Leeds
I am module leader for Terrestrial Biosphere in the Earth System (SOEE3760, SOEE5970M) and contribute to teaching Atmospheric Pollution from Local to Global Scales, Frontiers in Environmental Research, Poverty, Environment and Sustainable Development and Atmospheric Pollution: Causes, Impact and Regulation.
Research groups and institutes
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Aerosols
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science
Current postgraduate researchers
- Hari Agung Adrianto
- Laura Kiely
- Felicity Monger
- Will Rolls
- Ben Silver
- Tom Thorp
- Jamie Wilson
- Nike Doggart
- Callum Smith
- Xinyue He
- Paolo Sartorelli
- Tasmin Fletcher
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/project/1153-long-term-impacts-of-peatland-restoration-in-indonesia">Long-term impacts of peatland restoration in Indonesia</a></li>