Dr. Jason Williams
I am currently a Teaching Assistant in Applied Geosciences, supporting MSc programmes in Structural Geology with Geophysics, Engineering Geology and Exploration Geophysics (October 2019 to present). Previously I worked as a Postdoctoral Researcher at Institute of Earth Sciences Jaume Almera (ICTJA-CSIC), Barcelona, Spain, investigating the pre-collisional structure of Alpine-Himalayan mountain belts (2018 - 2019), and a Graduate Researcher at University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, USA, investigating the tectonic and kinematic evolution of the Alborán Domain during late orogenic extension (2014 - 2017). As a Graduate Teaching Assistant at USC I taught on four undergraduate courses in Earth Sciences with General Education, Civil and Environmental Engineering, and Geology students (2011 - 2014, seven semesters total).
- Teaching on three MSc programmes in Applied Geosciences
- Administrative support including organising field trips, student events, and MSc projects
- Lecturing on Geothermal Energy (SOEE5662M) and Sustainability (SOEE5531M)
Recently I have worked on geothermal projects collaborating with geologists and geophysicists, learning specialist software to model 3D geoscience datasets and run numerical simulations.
During my PhD and postdoctoral work, I studied patterns of crustal deformation and metamorphism in the Betic-Rif, Alps, and Oman mountain belts at a wide range of scales using field and analytical techniques (regional geological mapping, microstructural analysis, metamorphic petrology, thermobarometery, Rb-Sr geochronology, and Raman thermometry).<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD, Geological Sciences, University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, USA (June 2017)
- MSci, Geology and Geophysics with a Year Abroad, Imperial College London, UK (June 2010)
I teach on several modules and field-related courses:
- 3D Structure: Techniques and Visualisation, SOEE5764M
- Structural Geology in Resources and Geoenergy, SOEE5662M
- Advanced Structural Modelling and Data Analytics, SOEE5176M
- Geodynamics and Basin Evolution, SOEE5753M
- Structural Models and Subsurface Interpretation, SOEE5724M
- Geomechanics, SOEE5734M
- Geological Investigation and Characterisation, SOEE5017
- Hazards, Resilience and Sustainable Engineering, SOEE5531M
- Gravity and Magnetic Methods, SOEE5147M
Field trips: Spanish Pyrenees, Cyprus, SW England, NE Yorkshire Coast, Ingleton, Baildon, Northumberland and core-logging site visit
I also design and supervise MSc projects with industry collaborators on Structural Geology Independent Project, SOEE5111M.