Dr Marcelo Galdos
- Position: Met Office University Academic Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Soil science; Crop modelling; Agri-Environmental Sensors; Climate impacts; GHG monitoring and modelling; Climate-smart agriculture.
- Email: M.Galdos@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 10.09 Priestley Building
- Website: University of Leeds Research Farm | Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am a University Academic Fellow in Modelling Food Security and Climate Impacts, in a joint position at the University of Leeds and the UK Met Office. My research is focused on climate-smart agriculture using crop and soil organic matter modelling and geospatial analysis. I graduated in International Agricultural Development, and have hands-on experience in agricultural development and extension work. The main theme of my academic career has been sustainable agriculture with emphasis on soils, with a Masters in AgriEnvironmental Resources Management and a PhD in Soil Science and Tropical Agriculture. I have also developed postdoctoral work in life cycle analysis, carbon footprints of agricultural products, and sustainability metrics in agri-food supply chains.
I have used quantitative tools to evaluate soil biological, chemical and physical quality indicators under different agricultural management systems. My research involves using crop, soil and climate modelling from plot to landscape scale to simulate crop yields, soil organic matter, soil water, nutrients, and greenhouse gas fluxes in agricultural systems.
My current research is aimed at evaluating the sustainability of food, fuel, fibre and feed production under different land use and climate scenarios, supporting stakeholders in the development and implementation of climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies. I am a member of the Climate Impacts Group, using crop models to improve the resilience of agricultural systems to climate variability and change. I am also a member of Food@Leeds, Energy Leeds and the Priestley Centre.
I am interested in identifying and promoting crop and livestock production systems that preserve and restore natural resources, sustain agricultural livelihoods and provide ecosystem services.
I currently supervise PhD students on the the following projects:
· Water use efficiency monitoring based on artificial intelligence for Decision Support System in agricultural and plantation land use toward the climate-smart farming 4.0. Indonesia Endowment Fund for Education (LPDP) (2021-2024). Lead Supervisor.
· Measuring and modelling greenhouse gas fluxes to and from agricultural soils, NERC PANORAMA DTP. University of Leeds (2020-2023). Co-supervisor.
· Agroforestry, soil health and delivery of public goods, NERC PANORAMA DTP. University of Leeds (2021-2024). Co-supervisor.
· Identifying strategies for carbon-efficient commercial farming in the UK. Priestley Centre Interdisciplinary Studentship, University of Leeds (2019-2022). Lead Supervisor.
· Trade-off analysis of crop residue management for improving conservation agriculture practices under a changing climate in Bangladesh. University of Leeds (2018-2022). Lead Supervisor.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD, Soil Science, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil/Colorado State University, USA
- MSc, AgriEnvironmental Resources Management, Agronomic Institute of Campinas, Brazil
- Priestley International Centre for Climate
- Energy Leeds - Bioenergy
- Fellow in the British Society of Soil Science
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Brazilian Journal of Soil Science
- Member of the administrative council of the Bioenergy Society
I lead the Skills for Sustainable Food Systems module (FOEV5101M) of the Sustainable Food Systems MSc Programme.
I teach in the Climate Change: Impacts and Adaption (SOEE5550M), River Basin Management for Water Quality (GEOG5530), Terrestrial Biosphere in the Earth System (SOEE3760), Tools and Techniques for Business, Environment and Corporate Responsibility (SOEE2310), Research Methods (SOEE5010M) and Introduction to Sustainable Food Systems (FOEV5100M) modules.
Research groups and institutes
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science
- Climate Science and Impacts
- Sustainable Food Systems