23rd in the world for Earth Sciences, ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022
The School of Earth and Environment has expertise in areas ranging from geology and geophysics, environmental science, meteorology and climate science, to environmental social science together under one roof. We have just over 1,100 students from almost 80 countries studying with us.
The quality of our research, and the funding it attracts, means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research, which means you will be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the top of their fields.
To keep up to date with what’s happening in the School follow us on Twitter.
- 23rd in the world for Earth Sciences, ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022
- Top 100 in the world for Environmental Science and Engineering, ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022
- 23rd in the world for Earth and Marine, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023
- 36th in the world for Environmental Sciences, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023
- 24th in the world for Geology, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023
- 22nd in the world for Geophysics, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023
- The University of Leeds is among the top 75 universities, QS World University Rankings 2024
- University of Leeds students are among the top 10 most targeted by top employers, The Graduate Market 2023, High Fliers Research
- We are a member of the Russell Group of research-intensive universities
- Awarded a prestigious Queen's Anniversary Prize (2021) for research in climate and extreme weather, aiding vulnerable communities in the global south with new forecasting and warning systems
- 96% of research activity across our UoA is rated as either ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’, Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021
We have been commended for our strong and continued commitment to gender equality in the form of a prestigious Athena SWAN Silver award.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021
The School of Earth and Environment has an excellent reputation for world-class research and innovative teaching. As recognised in the latest Research Excellence Framework (2021).
Unit of assessment: Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences
- Our research environment was judged to be conducive to producing research of world-leading or internationally excellent quality, and enabling outstanding impact in terms of its vitality and sustainability
- Overall, 96% of research activity across our UoA is rated as either ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- 95% of our outputs (publications) were determined to be world-leading or internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and rigour
- 94% of our impact case studies had outstanding or very considerable impacts in terms of their reach and significance
- #1 for first for research power – Times Higher Education – ‘research power’ is the overall quality of our submission (defined here by the Grade Point Average (GPA)), multiplied by the full-time equivalent number of researchers submitted