Dr Sally Russell
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: sustainability and business; behaviour change; organisational behaviour; organisational psychology; environmental psychology; organisational change; emotions.
- Email: S.Russell@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5279
- Location: 9.102 School of Earth and Environment
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar
Sally Russell has a background in organisational behaviour and organisational change, with a focus on business, sustainability, and the natural environment. Her research focuses on behaviour change for sustainability and examines factors that affect individual, group, and organisational responses to environmental issues. She is particularly interested in the role of emotion in decision-making in relation to environmental issues. In all areas of her research, Sally works closely with industrial partners to ensure that her research contributes scientifically and practically to the development of more sustainable ways of doing business.
Sally also leads the BOSS (Business and Organisations for Sustainable Societies) Research Group in the Sustainability Research Institute.
- Research Group Leader
Organisational Behaviour and Sustainability
In this research stream I examine how individuals, groups and organisations respond to environmental issues. Drawing on multiple disciplines including organisational behaviour, psychology, environmental management, and sustainability I examine factors affecting decision-making and behaviour in response to environmental issues. As part of this research, I also examine how emotional reactions to climate change subsequently affect decision-making and behaviour. My work in this area has been funded by the European Commission under a Marie Curie Career Integration Grant, UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), and the Australian Government.
Behaviour Change for Sustainability
Working with industrial research partners I have been extensively involved in the design, implementation and evaluation of behaviour change programs for sustainability. In this research I aim to investigate the psychosocial and contextual drivers of material use across the whole of the supply chain, from producers and manufacturers through to demand at the household level. Working with industry partners and academic collaborators, I have identified and implemented effective mechanisms to encourage long-term sustainable use of resources. In this research I have worked in the contexts of workplace pro-environmental behaviours, food waste, energy demand, and water demand. Work in this theme has been funded by: UKRI; Innovate UK; British Academy; the Research Council of Norway, and the Urban Water Security Research Alliance, Australia.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD, UQ Business School, University of Queensland
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental Management, University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Business Management, University of Queensland
- Academy of Management (USA)
- Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management
- British Academy of Management
- Group for Research on Organizations and the Natural Environment
Sally's teaching interests lie at the intersection of organisations and the natural environment. She has experience teaching at undergraduate, Masters, MBA, PhD, and executive education.
Sally has teaching experience in the UK, Australia, Hong Kong, and Germany. Her teaching experience has included modules and courses on:
Business, Environment and Sustainability
Tools and Techniques for Business, Environment and Corporate Responsibility
Business, Environment, and Sustainability
Globalization and Corporate Social Responsibility
Research groups and institutes
- Sustainability Research Institute
- Business Organisations for Sustainable Societies
- Energy and Climate Change Mitigation