Professor Andy Hooper
Andy Hooper has been Professor of Geodesy and Geophysics at Leeds since May 2013 and from 2015-2018 was Co-Director of the Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics. He has pioneered the development of new algorithms to accurately extract deformation of the ground from time series of satellite radar images, which are now widely used in the community (StaMPS). He has also developed new methods for modelling the volcanic and tectonic processes that lead to ground deformation. He led the long-term deformation effort in the €6M European FUTUREVOLC project, which established an integrated volcanological monitoring procedure in Iceland, and the work to integrate geophysical, geochemical and petrological monitoring data in the €6M EUROVOLC project. Andy is currently PI of the European Research Council Consolidator Grant, DEEPVOLC Project, which aims forecast volcanic activity using deep learning.
In 2016 Andy was awarded the James B. Macelwane medal by the American Geophysical Union, given to outstanding early career scientists who have shown depth, breadth, impact, creativity and novelty in their research, and is co-founder and director of the university spin-out Satsense.
- Chris Moore, PhD 2021, The Structure and Development of Magmatic Plumbing Systems at Spreading Centres in the Afar Rift.
- Pawan Piromthing, PhD 2021, 3-D Satellite Interferometry for Interseismic Velocity Fields.
- Lin Shen, PhD 2020, Characterising Seismic Hazard with InSAR Measurements: cases over large length scales.
- Jeanne Giniaux, PhD 2019, Constraints on Askja Volcano, Iceland, from Surface Deformation and Gravity Change.
- Katy Willis, PhD 2019, Mechanisms of strain localisation in the lithosphere.
- Matt Gaddes, PhD 2019, Automatic Detection of Volcanic Unrest Using Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar.
- Junwoo Kim, PhD 2019, Identifying and Overcoming Constraints on Establishing Feasible National REDD+ Measurement, Reporting and Verification Systems.
- Thomas Ingleby, PhD 2018, Measuring and modelling the earthquake deformation cycle at continental dip-slip faults.
- Ruth Amey, PhD 2018, The Fractal Nature of Fault Slip and Its Incorporation into Earthquake Slip Inversions.
- Daniel Juncu, PhD 2018, Deformation of geothermal reservoirs: A case study in the Hengill geothermal area using satellite geodesy.
- Karsten Spaans, PhD 2016, Near-real time volcano monitoring and modelling using radar interferometry.
- David Bekaert, PhD 2015, Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar for slow slip applications.
- Amandine Auriac, PhD 2014, Solid Earth response to ice retreat and glacial surges in Iceland inferred from satellite radar interferometry and finite element modelling.
- Anneleen Oyen, PhD, Constraining glacial isostatic adjustment in Antarctica using InSAR time series.
- Joana Martins, PhD, Imaging the Torfajökull magma body using seismic and radar interferometry.
- Jelte van Oostveen, MSc, Optimised extraction of along-track deformation during glacial surges.
- Miguel Caro Cuenca, PhD 2012, Improving radar interferometry for monitoring fault-related surface deformation: Applications for the Roer Valley Graben and coal mine induced displacements in the southern Netherlands
- Lennert van den Berg, MSc 2012, Constraining glacial motion with a combination of laser altimetry and radar interferometry.
- Naresh Soni, MSc 2012, Phase unwrapping algorithm using edge detection and statistical cost functions.
- Ye Yuan, MSc 2011, Measuring surface deformation caused by permafrost thawing using radar interferometry.
- Karsten Spaans, MSc 2011, Deformation at Katla volcano, Iceland, 2003-2009.
- David Bekaert, MSc 2011, InSAR time series analysis of the 2006 slow slip event on the Guerrero subduction zone, Mexico.
- Marco Bagnardi (NASA)
- Pablo Gonzalez (University of Liverpool)
- Alistair McDougall (Anaplan)
- Qiu Qiang (EOS Singapore)
- Karsten Spaans (SatSense)
- Jonathan Weiss (University of Potsdam)
Research groups and institutes
- Geodynamics and Tectonics
- Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics
Current postgraduate researchers
- Antonio Fuggi
- Pawan Piromthong
- Jacob Connolly
- Jin Fang
- Josefa Sepulveda Araya
- Rachel Bilsland
- Reza Bordbari
- Eilish O'Grady
- Muhammet Nergizci