Dr Sally Moore
- Position: Lecturer in Nutritional Science
- Areas of expertise: Nutrition; Food Labelling; Dietetics; Nutrition Policy; Public Health Nutrition; Health Education; Consumers and the Food Environment
- Email: S.Moore2@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6202
- Location: 8.76a EC Stoner
- Website: | Twitter | LinkedIn | ORCID | White Rose
Sally is a Registered Dietitian (Health Professions Council) and qualified nutritionist. Following her first degree in Genetics she worked in a research lab investigating the genetics of the malaria parasite. After enjoying her MMedSci course in Human Nutrition she trained clinically as a dietitian in the NHS in Leeds Hopsitals and Community settings. She has previously held research positions in the fields of food development research and diabetes/Primary Care within teams at Leeds Met and Sheffield Universities. Sally has worked since 2008 in the UK food industry, notably for Morrisons Supermarkets leading the nutrition team. From 2013, Sally worked as a Lecturer /Senior Lecturer in Nutrition and Food at Leeds Beckett and Leeds Trinity Universities whilst completing her PhD concerning consumers’ perspectives on UK Nutrition Labelling. Sally also works on nutrition-related consultancy projects with the Food Industry and is the current Chair of the British Dietetic Association’s Public Health Nutrition Specialist Group.
Sally's current research interests involve consumer engagement with nutrition labelling, food legislation and public health nutrition initiatives and policy, in both the in-store and digital food enviroments. Her interest in this area and PhD research, stem from her roles in the food industry working with consumers, product development and implementating UK “traffic light” labelling across products. Research and knowledge transfer projects include collaborations with industry, health professionals and third sector organisations. Sally has previously received EU R&D funding to lead an industrial partnership research project which invovled Health Care professionals and an international nutritional supplement manufacturer. Projects with MSc, BSc and PhD students also explore the role of the dietitian and the impact of education in clinical and public health practice.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD UK nutrition labelling legislation and consumers, 2019
- MMedSci Human Nutrition, 2006
- PG Dip Dietetics, 2008
- BSc (Hons.) Genetics, 2001
- ULTRA, 2014
- 2018 - current: Chair of the Public Health Specialist Group of the British Dietetic Association (BDA)
- 2008 - 2013 : Committee Member of the British Nutrition Foundation Industrial Scientist Committee
- 2008 - 2013 : Member IGD Nutrition Strategy Group (and cross-sector working groups)
- 2008 - current: State Registered Dietitian on the UK Health and Care Professional Council Register (HCPC)
- 2014 - current: Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEF)
- 2008-current: Member of the British Dietetic Association (BDA)
Module Leader for Nutrition Physiology and Biochemistry and Elements of Human Nutrition 1st year modules.
Teaching includes industry, labelling, and nutrition profession related aspects across food science & nutrition.