Dr Angelica Salas Jones
- Position: Teaching Fellow in Transport Planning and Engineering
- Areas of expertise: Smart mobility; Intelligent Transport Systems; Transport Modelling.
- Email: A.M.SalasJones@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Room 1.05, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
- Website: LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID
Dr Angelica Salas Jones is a Teaching Fellow in Transport Planning and Engineering at the Institute for Transport Studies. She has a PhD focused on the incorporation of social media data and transport modelling techniques in existing traffic management systems. She has experience teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students in the areas of Intelligent Transport Systems, Transportation Planning and Transport Modelling. She has also been involved in several Horizon 2020 research projects, where she gained experience in developing transport simulation models, retrieving and processing data from different APIs, and employing machine learning and optimisation algorithms for different passenger and freight transport problems.
Her research interests include Smart Mobility, Intelligent Transport Systems and Transport Modelling. She has worked exploring the potential of big data in the context of multimodal transportation, as part of the EU-funded Optimum project. Some of her work included extracting, processing and analysing real-time Twitter streams for traffic incident detection, using different machine learning algorithms and natural language processing techniques. On the transport modelling side, she developed a large-scale traffic simulation model with an imputation methodology for missing road traffic data using constrained optimisation.
She has also worked on the initial developments of the Harmony MS (https://harmony-h2020.eu/). Her work focused on integrating new forms of mobility for freight (e.g. crowdshipping, cargo bikes, drones) in a multimodal transport planning tool. She worked on the development of a controller for innovative freight services that emulate the decision making of logistics operators to meet the daily demands.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD, Traffic management framework using heterogeneous data sources, University of Wolverhampton
- PGCert, Higher Education and Professional practice, University of Wolverhampton
- MSc, Civil Engineering Management, University of Wolverhampton
- BEng, Civil Engineering, Instituto Tecnologico de Santo Domingo
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
I am involved in student education in a range of modules at postgraduate level in ITS, particularly those related to Transport Modelling, Traffic Management, Transport Data Collection and Analysis and Road Geometry.