If you are passionate about solving the grand transport challenges of our time – with benefits for climate change, pollution, urban congestion, mobility, economic growth development, liveable cities, social justice and energy scarcity – then our Sustainability in Transport MSc will inspire and equip you to tackle these issues.
Whatever your background, this course will fire your imagination and expand your horizons.
You could be a social or political scientist, a geographer, philosopher, or law graduate, or an engineering or science graduate with an interest in environmental and social issues. What’s most important is that you thrive on critical thinking and have a willingness to move outside disciplinary comfort zones. You will:
- Study a range of modules from shaping future transport systems, environmental science, sustainable transport and environmental policy and governance through to investigating the links between transport and climate change, the environment and economic development.
- Develop the management skills to lead strategic reviews of transport policy.
- Undertake strategic assessments and reviews of transport and environmental policies.
- Be taught by internationally renowned academics from the Institute for Transport Studies and the School of Earth and Environment. Their work is developing sustainable solutions in transport and beyond.
- Gain industry-specific skills for access to a fast expanding employment market.
- Have a choice of modules including gaining leadership skills to effectively chair visioning workshops, stakeholder engagement events, strategy meetings, and make persuasive presentations to policy makers.
And experience what it is like to be part of a project team working across disciplinary boundaries within the transport sector. Through this, gain insights into how planning, economics, environmental science, modelling and engineering can work together to develop sustainable solutions to global challenges. This practical approach will enable you to apply your knowledge to real-world issues in sustainable mobility and transport systems.
Your colleagues will be among the best and brightest from the UK and across the globe. Together you will develop the strategic vision needed to help you design transport solutions founded on sustainable and equitable principles.
We have redesigned our suites of courses following close consultation with industry and academia.
With a strong focus on practical application, our degrees will prepare you for employment in your chosen field. They will also address the multi-disciplinary nature of transport – enabling you to make effective decisions for clients, employers and society.
And to experience what it’s really like to work in the sustainable transport sector, collaborate with a project team of students from our other degrees through our new Transport Integrated Project module.
The programme leader is Dr Caroline Mullen.
The Institute for Transport Studies was established as the UK’s first multi-disciplinary transport department, and we continue to lead the field with our research.
Our reputation allows us to invest in world-class facilities, such as the University of Leeds Driving Simulator – one of the most sophisticated in any university in the world, allowing us to research driver behaviour in controlled lab conditions. We also have access to a variety of specialist software tools including those we’ve developed in-house such as SATURN, PLUTO, DRACULA, MARS and KonSULT.
Other study options
This programme is available part time over 24 or 36 months. We are flexible as to how you choose to study this course so that you can combine it with other commitments, such as an existing job.
Please get in touch with our admissions team to discuss part time study options.
You can also study this subject at Postgraduate Diploma level, part time or full time, or at Postgraduate Certificate level with our PGCert in Transport Studies.