Dr Lauren Gregoire
- Position: Lecturer in Earth System modelling
- Areas of expertise: Ice sheet modelling, climate modelling, abrupt climate and sea level changes, quaternary, uncertainty quantification
- Email: L.J.Gregoire@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4945
- Website: Personal webpage (not regularly updated) | Twitter | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am an ice sheet and climate modeller working on climate-ice sheet interactions during the Quaternary. I did my PhD at the University of Bristol with Prof. Paul Valdes and Prof Tony Payne on modelling the climate and ice sheets during the last deglaciation. It is during my PhD that I discovered the mechanism of Saddle Collapse which produced two major events of rapid sea level rise, the Meltwater Pulse 1a and the 8.2 kyr events, both of which are associated with abrupt climate changes. I joined the University of Leeds in July 2013 to become an Academic Research Fellow in Earth System modelling. I became a Lecturer in 2018. I currently co-lead the PMIP working group on the last deglaciation and I am Steering Commitee member of PalaeoARC.
Research groups: Physical Climate change ; Palaeo@Leeds ; Leeds Quaternary.
- Mechanisms of ice sheet instability
- Abrupt climate change, rapid sea level changes
- Quantifying uncertainty in complex models
- Last deglaciation (~ 23,000 to 7,000 years ago)
- Northern Hemisphere ice sheets ; The British and Irish ice sheet
- Steering Commitee member of PalaeoARC
- Palaeo Model Intercomarison Project (PMIP) working group on the last deglaciation.
- Past Earth Network (PEN) model working group.
- Steering committee member for the Centre of Excellence for Modelling the Atmosphere and Climate (CEMAC).
- Jennifer Dentith (co-supervisor; Oct 2015-): Abrupt climate transitions and geological tracers of ocean circulation.
- Niall Gandy (primary supervisor; Oct 2016-): Collapse of the British-Irish Ice Sheet: the role of climate and sea level changes. Affiliated with the BRITICE-CHRONO consortium.
- Beth Bowker (primary supervisor; Oct 2018-): Legacy of a warming world: Simulating ice sheet melt
- Suzanne Robinson (co-supervisor; Oct 2018-): Is Atlantic Ocean Circulation Collapsing?
Previous group members:
- Ilkka Matero (primary supervisor; Oct 2014-2018): North American ice sheet collapse and abrupt climate change during the 8.2 kyr event.
- Nigel Clifford (MRes, primary supervisor, 2015-2016): Impact of ice sheet freshwater release in the North Atlantic on the variability of European winter climate.
- Alice Drinkwater (Research experience placement, co-supervisor, summer 2016). Anthropogenic effects on intense melt episodes over Greenland.
Publications with availabe data to download:
- Gregoire LJ et al. (2018) Holocene lowering of the Laurentide ice sheet affects North Atlantic gyre circulation and climate, Climate Dynamics 1–17. [Paper] [Download data]
- Gregoire LJ et al. (2011) Optimal tuning of a GCM using modern and glacial constraints, Climate Dynamics, 37, pp.705-719. [Paper] [Access data]
- Gandy N, Gregoire LJ, Ely J, Clark C, Hodgson D, Lee V, Bradwell T, Ivanovic RF (in review). Marine Ice Sheet Instability and Ice Shelf Buttressing Influenced Deglaciation of the Minch Ice Stream, Northwest Scotland. The Cryosphere Discussion.
- Ivanovic RF , Gregoire LJ, Burke A, Wickert AD , Valdes PJ , Ng H C , Robinson LF, McManus J F, Mitrovica JX, Lee L , Dentith JE. Acceleration of northern ice sheet melt induces AMOC slowdown and northern 1 cooling in simulations of the early last deglaciation (Submitted to Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology)
- J.L. Wadham, J. Hawkings, L. Tarasov, L. Gregoire, R. G.M. Spencer, M. Gutjahr, A. Ridgwell. Why ice sheets matter for the global carbon cycle (Submitted to Nature Comms. 02/2017)
- Maycock, A. C., A. Drinkwater, L. J. Gregoire, A. Lacour, Anthropogenic contribution to the intense warming over Greenland in July 2012 (submitted 10/16)
- Ny Riavo Voarintsoa et al. Stalagmite records and model simulation indicating wet conditions in northwestern Madagascar during the 8.2 ka event. (submitted 07/2017 to Quaternary Science Reviews).
- 2017: Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- 2011: PhD, School of Geographical Sciences, University of Bristol, UK.
- 2007: Master in Climate-Environment Interactions, University de Versailles St Quentin, France
- 2005: Licence of Physics, University de Versailles St Quentin en Yvelines, France.
- International Glaciological Society
- American Geophysical Union
I Authored an Online programming course for all: Introduction to python programming.
- Ice in the Earth System
- Past Global Environmental Systems
- Earth system modelling practicals
- Oceanography in the Earth System
Research groups and institutes
- Earth Surface Science Institute
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science