Dr Erik Thomasson
- Position: Research and Innovation Development Manager
- Email: E.N.Thomasson@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1798
- Location: Room 2.06, Institute for Transport Studies Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
As Research and Innovation Development Manager based in the Institute for Transport Studies I am responsible for building and managing relationships and for developing effective mechanisms to harness the University of Leeds’ world-leading intellectual capacity in the transport-systems field to deliver real social and economic benefits.
My role is to consolidate transport-related research excellence from across the University and deliver a coordinated ‘offer’ to potential external customers and partners in order to promote essential business links. I am one of a network of R&IDMs managed under the University’s Research and Innovation Service, which aims to drive research income generation and academic impact by leveraging academic expertise.
On a practical level, this involves a range of activities including:
- Developing bespoke University/industry partnerships that respond to grand research and innovation challenges identified by the UK and EC
- Identifying external research funding opportunities and consortium building with academics and external partners
- Developing collaborative research opportunities with partners
- Setting up two-way knowledge transfer activities and secondments
- Identifying opportunities for industry to fund and sponsor cohorts of PhD students confronting challenges directly relevant to industrial employers
- Raising awareness of, and enabling access to, the University's state-of-the-art research facilities.
- Research and Innovation Development Manager, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds (August 2015 to date)
- Business Development Manager, Transport Systems Hub, University of Leeds (March 2012 - August 2015)
- Research and Development Manager (Bradford Observatory), City of Bradford MDC (May 2009-February 2012)
- Head of Service, Research and Consultation, City of Bradford MDC (May 2005-May 2009)
- Geographical Information Systems Manager, City of Bradford MDC (December 1998-May 2005)
- PhD Logistics (University of Huddersfield, 1993)
- MSc Transport Planning and Engineering (University of Leeds, 1988)
- BSc (Hons) Human Ecology (Huddersfield Polytechnic, 1986).