Dr Yvonne Barnard
- Position: Lecturer (Teaching and Scholarship)
- Email: Y.Barnard@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9759
- Location: Room LG.02, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
- M.Sc. Psychology, with a specialization in Artificial Intelligence, University of Amsterdam, 1984
- PhD. University of Amsterdam, 1994, Title thesis: The learner in the centre: towards a methodology for open learner environments
- Dr Yvonne Barnard has joined ITS in 2008 and is a member of the Spatial Modelling and Dynamics research group. After her study in psychology, with a specialization in Artificial Intelligence, she started to work in 1984 as a researcher in the field of computers and education at the University of Utrecht, in research projects on co-operative learning, interaction processes, and intelligent tutoring systems. From 1989-1995 she was a researcher at the University of Amsterdam, department of Social Science Informatics, where she received her Ph.D. with a thesis on open, technologically rich, learning environments. She worked on European research and development projects on telematic systems for flexible and distance learning. From 1995-2000 she worked at the TNO Human Factors Research Institute, co-ordinating a research group on learning processes, doing applied research in computer and simulation based training, design and evaluation of training systems and courses, e-learning, and knowledge management. From 2000-2008 she was a senior scientist at EURISCO, a human factors research institute in Toulouse, France, performing research on human factors in aviation and on cognitive and organizational processes. She managed commercial projects for companies such as Airbus and Thales Avionics and was Workpackage leader in several European projects.
- Her current projects focus on road automation and include AUTOPILOT, a European project on how the Internet of Things can enable and improve automated driving, and ARCADE, a European coordination and support action for automated driving. Previous projects at ITS include European support actions FOT-Net (1 and 2), on Field Operational Tests, FOT-Net Data, on data sharing, CARTRE, on connected and automated driving, the European project ITERATE, on modelling of drivers in different transport modes, and the EPSRC funded projects EASY, on automated driving, and BRIDGE, on acceptability of technology. Yvonne was seconded for 2.5 years to ERTICO - ITS Europe, in Brussels, a networking organisation for Intelligent Transport Systems, as a project manager for European projects, including FOT-Net 2 (as project coordinator) and UDRIVE, the European Naturalistic Driving study.
- Yvonne Barnard is interested (among others) in topics related to the interaction between humans and technology, impacts of automated driving, user acceptance of technology, sustainability, and the role of art in transport.
- 2008 – present: Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies (ITS), University of Leeds
- 2013 – 2015 Secondment as project manager at ERTICO – ITS Europe
- 2000 – 2008: Senior Research Scientist at EURISCO, Toulouse France (a human factors research institute owned by Airbus, Thales Avionics and the Group Aeroconseil)
- 1995 – 2000: Senior researcher at TNO Human Factors Research Institute
- 1989 – 1995: Researcher at the University of Amsterdam, Department of Social Science Informatics
- 1984 – 1989: Researcher at the University of Utrecht, Department of Educational research.
- Module leader TRAN 2041 Transport, Energy and Environment
- Lecturer in TRAN1011 Challenges in transport & mobility
- Turtorial groups for Geography with Transport students
- Supervision of dissertations from MSc and undergraduate students
Research groups and institutes
- Spatial Modelling and Dynamics